free website stats program Street Glide Vs Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide Vs Ultra

I scewed up that first post. I wanted to say Steet Glide isn't to comfy and an ultra isn't much more $ for a lot of comfort. Could I strip down the Ultra to look Street glide when in the mood? Some of you knew what I was trying to say on that prior post. I am sorry for the goof I have been away from Harleys for 6 years and trying to get back up to speed on these models and what I'm going to buy. I want your advice and comments

thanks
Hap

Add Ultra functionality/comforts to Street Glide

Tour Pak--724
Tour Pak Mount--250
Tour Pak brake lights--215

Lowers--650
Passing lamp mount--290
Passing lamp bulbs --50

Cruise control--240

CB Antenna (short) --30
Radio Antenna (short--30

Rear Speakers--440
Intercom upgrade to radio --90
Intercom kit --400
Bike to bike CB kit--300

Passenger floorboards--360 (Streamliner)
Passenger floorboards--140 (traditional)

Saddlebag liners--44
Trunk liner--56
Fitted tour pak liner --80

Frame heat deflectors--80
Fairing wind wings --120
13" rear shocks--250

total-4700

Add Street Glide Cosmetics/looks to Ultra

Silver faced gauges--600
Gauge trim rings--70
Streamliner floorboards/pegs--500
Color match bag latches--150
Bullet turn signals--400
Rear Fender facia--170
Saddlebag supports--140
Fairing mount mirrors--60
Street Glide Wheels--1100
Profile lower rear shocks--279

Total at this point--3469

remove trim from fenders fill all holes, repaint entire bike in solid color--2000 (estimate for a decent job)

total--5469

Of course, you can go as far as you want, pick and choose what's important to you, going either way. I hate pinstripes, so I started with the SG.

Last edited:
I am going to get nailed for this not because of what I say but what some may read.
An Ultra is just that an ULTRA it has everything and is a great touring bike.
That said they are kind of boring in the sense that you really have to go all out to make it different than every other Ultra on the road. Some of the other touring models like SG, RK, RG have a lot of room to play they are not as finished as an Ultra.
Thats not to say your modded SG may not end up looking like the other guy at works SG. But you can fix that with a few bolt ons.
Part of the fun of owning an HD is making it you own, the time work and even cash you stick into it over time to put your finger prints on it.
I have seen some darn nice Ultras out there but I know the the path to really make them more of a one of a kind was a tough road.
For touring I went RG last time for these reasons and am very happy, that does not mean the next one will not be an Ultra.
Each time I look at one at the dealer Ideas come up on how to make it mine if I took one home.
Buy the bike that you want when it comes to buying a HD trying to make the so called smartest or best decision almost defeats the reasons for having it.
Why Do I own a HD because I want to and the one I am sitting on is the one I wanted.
Any short comings it may have I will deal with. If I can not figure out how to deal with them some other HD ride will drop a few ideas on me I am sure.
AMEN smitty...it's not the bike that picks the individual - it's the individual who picks the bike. Everyone has different opinions & tastes so look, test-drive, decide, buy & ride!

Part of the fun of owning an HD is making it you own, the time work and even cash you stick into it over time to put your finger prints on it.

Buy the bike that you want when it comes to buying a HD trying to make the so called smartest or best decision almost defeats the reasons for having it.

Amen.

I have read all the advice and comments...I was at the dealer today and that (edit) Street Glide is sweet...I didn't buy it today! I was thinking on the drive home why I was thinking ultra and stripping it down for a different look. I won't use the Ultra as it is intended...my long rides are 100 miles there and 100 back. I'm not heading cross country as far as I can tell at this popint of my life. If the street glide was as comfortable as my 2003 Heritage I would be happy with that for the type of riding I plan to do. So Im back at the street glide as the bike I would like to have...I am having a(edit) of a time deciding and thats not like me. My wife is even surprised I haven't bought something at this point....

Last edited by a moderator:
OG...ya let the cat outta the bag...! :lolrolling

If the choice of a Street Glide vs Ultra is based on less is more...(as Smitty and most of the others say get the SG...but if more is just having everything already...go for the Ultra...a great many riders have gone in either direction...:33:

I went total minimalist, and went with the Sporty because I wanted straight short solo riding as my primary reason...and casual two-up riding for short (inside) of 350 miles in a day. Your ride, your style, your way! Enjoy the search...and be patient...the ride will pick you...:bigsmiley24:

have you tried a road glide? Stock... Its the best handlong most comfy harley for the money. (Strictly my opinion) I have been riding for almost 30 years and finally made the switch from a Softail (most recent, had almost every model) to the Roadglide. Man, what a difference! I totaly am in ove with it. Of course Im back to swuare on stock bike, but with the adjustable air ride, decent bars, and good seat, I dont have much to do for comfort. Next its all just personal upgrades. I miss my v&h longsots, so exhaust is first on my list, but comfort, I believe its the caddy of HD. Check one out.

Back