free website stats program Street Glide or Road Glide? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide or Road Glide?

Big expendature either way. Quite a bit more difference than just looks in the two models. I would find a dealer willing to work with me by renting each, then giving at least partial credit of rental fees towards purchase.
Winter's coming, sales will be slowing.

Have an 02 RG and a 09 RK with batwing, close to SG, I prefer the look and ride of the RK but you can't beat the ride of the RG on the highway. The fixed fairing on the RG gives it a much nicer highway ride a lot less fatige on long trips. I was not a big fan of the shark nose fairing, but on a long trip you can't beat the ride.

Looks like you ride your own Softtail, Lucy........I've owned 3 Road Glides since 2002, so I'm biased.
I'd say he needs to ride both of them. In the end when it boils down to comparing a Fixed Fairing to a Batwing. The fixed dosen't look like the traditional Harley fairing but it has a lighter feel when riding because the wind resistance is not pushing on the handlebars. There are others that claim that the Batwing Fairing offers more protection than the Fixed Fairing, I would not deny that but would add that the fixed fairing is more stable.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. All great thoughts and suggestions. I like the idea or renting each for a day and then negotiating some of that expense off the purchase price. I would not have thought of that!

BillNapaBill: Yes, I ride my own Softail - and LOVE it. I have no confusion over which bike is right for me! :D

We get to see his bike this weekend for the first time. Yikes!

I am glad to hear your husband is ok.
if he liked the ride or the RK, and rides around town alot, he can consider a new RK, and you can get a detachable fairing with radio, for longer trips

As you can see I ride a Road Glide so I am biased. I did a lot of research and chose the Road Glide for several reasons.

Touring Chassis for comfort.

Frame mounted fairing for low speed handling and cross wind resistance.

I think it just looks cool and a little different from the other Harleys. Although it's popularity is growing so it is not as unique.

Either bike would be a great choice for what you have planned and the idea of a removable fairing would make me choose the Road King over the Street Glide as I had a Softail with a removable fairing that we made from swap meet parts.

I guess my choices would be Road Glide if you really like the looks as many of us do. Or Road King with removable fairing, sorry Street Glide fans.

Street King would be my vote. That's my name for the Road King with detachable batwing fairing. That is what I have and also got the matching detachable tourpack. With a selection of seats, and other detacheables, I can configure the scooter to match my varying whims, and its all good.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I agree with most that you should rent or test ride both, but I am biased with my '07 Road Glide, lowered 1 inch in the back and removeable tour pack for putting around town. Also a Mustang seat that puts me slightly lower in the seat. The Road Glide handles great running errands around town and can't be beat on the highway.

Steve on RG 2.jpg

That's the way Lucy, Nothing like having your own set of Handelbars and saddlebags. My wife has a 2004 RK Custom that she's rode to Sturgis, Vegas and up to Oregon a couple of times.
I don't know if you two are planning any long trips but if you are and are planning on riding your own bikes. According to some Harley riders the Road Glide offers a little more room in the stock seat position for the one up rider. That dosen't mean your Husband can't change the seat on the Street Glide and get whatever room he wants. So it would still pay to try both of em before you buy. Make sure you look at ALL of the FLH's (Batwing Fairing Bikes) and ALL of the FLT's (Fixed or Sharknose Fairing Bikes). And yes your Dealer should give you your rental fee back towards the purchase of a new bike, get it in writing though. Don't know if I'd wanna see that crashed bike!

Back