free website stats program Street Glide or Road Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide or Road Glide?

Lucy

My husband wrecked his Road King about two weeks ago. Thank God he is OK - only by the grace of God. He lost control when he hit debris on the highway and hit the concrete divider in the median. It pitched him over the divider and into on-coming traffic. A couple of deep gashes in his left arm, but otherwise OK. AMAZING!! He said he was done with bikes that day, but now is contemplating a Street Glide or Road Glide. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better and why?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Totally different rides. They share the same frame and bags and many of the touring parts. A lot will depend on what type of riding he does and how the bike fits him. I suggest that he either gets a demo ride on each or rents each of them for a day to get the feel of the bat wing and shark nose fairings. I chose the Road Glide because of the fairing and it's more arodynamic shape and the fact that it is frame mounted, and I tend to rack up the miles. Glad your husband is OK. Has he taken the MSF riders course? If not I think it is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Good luck on the new ride.

I am partial to the Road Glide. They just feel lighter than a Street Glide. Best advice is to drive them both. Get a feel for what fits him best.

He has taken the MSF course. I appreciate the suggestion though. We took it together and I agree it is the best thing you can do. We get differing opinions on the two bikes so I appreciate you providing yours. He rides around town a lot and then rides to our lake house (175 miles each way) almost every weekend in the summer. Thanks again!

Purely a matter of his personal preference...but that said, the Road Glide having a frame mounted fairing "looks" bulky, but because of the weight is off the front forks, the crisp steering of sporttourer come to mind. JMO

Road Glide without a doubt. I prefer the older, 95 c.i. SE models from 2000 and 2001 because the 95 was such a great running engine.

Just purchased a 2000, triple red, SE. RG.

2 bb

Anyone who tells you one or the other no matter what, run away from them. These two scooters are totally different and there is no possible way for anyone to tell you which is better for your husband, That is a fact. He will have to ride them both, or at the very least sit on them both. If they both "fit" him, then he needs to ride both of them. Most people that have the road glide that I know are in love with them. I can't ride one as a result of my build. I do know that he will have to ride a RG more than around the block to give it a fair analysis since the stationary fairing takes getting used to. On the other hand there is a reason the SG is one of the most popular scooters HD has ever manufactured. He needs to go ride them both, that is the only way he will know for sure. Completely different rides so it should be EZ for him to decide. Good luck!:)

Good to hear your hubby wasn't too seriously hurt. He's very lucky. I've never ridden either bike, but love the look of the Street Glide. Never have liked the Road Glide Fairing. JMO :)

As others have said, the bikes share engine, frame, bags - and that's about it. Two amazingly different bikes otherwise. Different sitting position, road view, and most importantly, look! Many like the handling characteristics of the RG but just can't get past the non-traditional HD shark nose fairing. Some love the looks of the SG but complain about the ride due to its being lowered.

I would say to stand and look at each and listen to your heart. Then ride the one your heart has chosen and make sure you're ok with the ride characteristics.

Back