free website stats program Strange TruckLite problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange TruckLite problem

Blueglide05

Sorry for the long post, but trying to the descriptive!

I have a 2013 FLHTK with TruckLite headlight and passing lamps and Custom Dynamics turn signals, Tour-Pack lighting and tail light. I've had everything for about for 3 years. I haven't installed anything else recently.

The headlight recently started "strobe lighting" and eventually staying on high beams. It goes randomly from low to strobe and only high beams in no particular order all while the switch in low position. It does not do this when the light is plugged into the high and low beams separately. Only with everything plugged in.

I plugged in a halogen bulb and it works fine. The LED quit operating the Harley garage door opener that is ten years old. The halogen operates it just fine. In preparation of sending in the light for warranty I ordered the Sunpie Daymaker to have a light as this is my daily driver. The Sunpie does not operate the garage door opener, but the halogen bulb operates it. It's hard to tell, but I think the Sunpie high beam has a very small flicker when lows are on, but is hardly noticeable. The high beam indicator is not coming on when the low beam is selected as with the TruckLite. There is no strobe lighting. I am suspicious as to why the Sunpie is not operating the door opener.

I took the light and plugged it into another bike and it works. Still, only halogen bulbs work properly. I also disconnected the garage door transmitter with the same results. I am assuming it has something to do with the hi-beam wire?

Hopefully, i am detailed enough. Thanks for the help!

I have a 012 roadking and I cannot have the highbeam and passing lights on at the same time I was told it is a factory thing. I hope this helps.

for Blueglide05, 1st. let me say I'm not familiar with the Truck Lite product. I would think it to be your Truck Lite having a problem due to saying everything works fine with the Halogen. I don't understand this statement though" It does not do this when the light is plugged into the high and low beams separately. Only with everything plugged in." Are there 2 separate plugs for the Hi beam & Low beam? Also in this statement
" The high beam indicator is not coming on when the low beam is selected as with the TruckLite". The High beam indicator should not be on with the low beam on. Am I reading this wrong?
tourbox

I have a 012 roadking and I cannot have the highbeam and passing lights on at the same time I was told it is a factory thing. I hope this helps.
That would be correct, it is a factory thing due to DOT regulations. I've been told it produces to many
watts/lumens(brightness) for all the lights.
tourbox

for Blueglide05, 1st. let me say I'm not familiar with the Truck Lite product. I would think it to be your Truck Lite having a problem due to saying everything works fine with the Halogen. I don't understand this statement though" It does not do this when the light is plugged into the high and low beams separately. Only with everything plugged in." Are there 2 separate plugs for the Hi beam & Low beam? Also in this statement
" The high beam indicator is not coming on when the low beam is selected as with the TruckLite". The High beam indicator should not be on with the low beam on. Am I reading this wrong?
tourbox

Sorry guys, I didn't have to responses set up to go to email plus, Bombogenesis here in Va Beach had things a bit crazy!
The reason I ruled out the Truck-Lite was because it worked in a Street Bob. To remain "useable" I unplugged the high beam spade connecter to the headlight so that the low beam and ground were plugged in. I did the same for the high beam. With them separated there was no flickering. For now I am riding with only low beam. I may send it in for warranty just to see what they say.

Thanks for the help!

With the "trouble shooting" you did, it sounds like an internal problem with the Trucklite unit. As for the garage door opener, from reading on several different forums, it appears that LED headlights are prone to emitting Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). Your garage door opener problem is fairly common. ONLY the Harley branded lights seem to be consistently free of this problem, perhaps the internal shielding is part of what causes the severe price differential. There are "chokes" (similar to the cylinder on a laptop power cord) which can be placed on your headlight wiring which will absorb some or all of the interference. With Radio Shack going, or having gone out of business, on line may be the only way to buy them now. I don't know the frequency of the electronics in the headlight so I can't recommend a particular choke, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am can pitch in or a Google search might yield the information.

With the "trouble shooting" you did, it sounds like an internal problem with the Trucklite unit. As for the garage door opener, from reading on several different forums, it appears that LED headlights are prone to emitting Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). Your garage door opener problem is fairly common. ONLY the Harley branded lights seem to be consistently free of this problem, perhaps the internal shielding is part of what causes the severe price differential. There are "chokes" (similar to the cylinder on a laptop power cord) which can be placed on your headlight wiring which will absorb some or all of the interference. With Radio Shack going, or having gone out of business, on line may be the only way to buy them now. I don't know the frequency of the electronics in the headlight so I can't recommend a particular choke, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am can pitch in or a Google search might yield the information.
Thank you. I am going to be at sea for a week so am sending the light in for warranty. As far as the garage door opener, it just started doing this for some reason. Coincidence? Oh well, we shall see what they say. I will check into the "choke" if needed.

Below is a picture of the high beam spade connector disconnected for reference.

I have a 2008 Ultra with the Trucklite head light too. I was having trouble with it strobing too. It was happening when I got caught in the rain. The best I could tell the hi/low switch was getting water in it. I silicone the outside of the switch we'll see if that helps.

Back