free website stats program Strange ticking noise | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange ticking noise

TQ, after the tech examined my bike initialy I was told that the problem wasn't the compensator. He then went on to say that he thought it might have been something from the recent cam change. I was asked to give permission to go into the engine and see what the problem is. Several days later I called to check on the bike and was told that he had found a broken ring on one of my pistons. He had to remove the heads to do that. I don't know why he didn't see that then.
I guess they saw a chump just waiting to get fleeced. I also feel that they don't want the customer telling them what the problem might be, so they look elsewhere for a problem. Seems that there are too many harley techs that think they are the only source for all knowledge on Harley bikes. In otherwords, they just have to prove you wrong! Hopefully I'll get the bike back today, and all will be OK.

Everyone tells me to ride and quit listening for sounds. It seems the hotter they get the more they tick or you convince yourself of it.Im always asking a buddy to ride my bike and see if you can hear that noise.They always come back and say "quit listening and ride or take off the winshield and you want here a thing".

Well, I can't win for losing!:( I called the shop this morning and was told that my bike is back together and running. Then I was told that it was still making the noise and the mechanics are in agreement that it's a rod bearing gone out.
I could scream, but it wouldn't help! We talked for a while more, and now I have to make a decision on whether or not to let them go back in and fix the crank/rod bearings. The only silver lining to this whole ordeal is that they're willing to eat the cost of the repairs up this point, and only charge me for the bottom build due to gross misdiagnosing the problem. Still they are talking upwards to $1900 for the repairs. At least I'll have almost a completely rebuilt engine after all this is done!

I've sorta been in a haze since this mornings call!:newsmile053:

Well I called and talked to the service dept. this morning to get things going again. I asked them to humor me and open the primary to look at the compensator first before proceeding any further. They're supposed to call me after this is done. I'm hoping for a better outcome than going into the crankcase.
My thoughts are that they should have noticed abnormal play in the rods or the crankshaft end when they had my top end completely apart to do the prior repairs. As much knocking noise as my engine was making should mean noticeable play in either the rods (bearings) or the crank (end bearings). I have the pre 02' crank and rods which are beefier, and my engine has the updated bearings per H-D moco. I just can't get away from thinking it has to be the compensator.
So, I wait again!

By the way, as quickly as they blew off the compensator being the problem, I couldn't let them off the hook that easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that HD has the total rebuild program. You turn your bike over to the dealership and they pull the engine and send it to the MoCo. There it is completely rebuilt. You essentially get back a remanufactured engine. The cost is about what you mentioned above. Just a bit of fyi.

Harley-Davidson | Accessories And Apparel | Engines | Remanufacturing

TQ

Actually, when I reviewed the pricing, there is a pretty big difference. I was remembering what the cost was for my 1340. The 95 ci is about a grand more!

Last edited:
I talked to the service tech yesterday, and now we're waiting for the crankshaft parts to come in. They said that the compensator was good. I was hoping for a cheaper fix, but I'll be reasonably happy if the noise and vibration goes away.
I won't be able to get the bike before monday due to me working nights all through the weekend from now. I sure hope they have it ready!

Well, Monday is come and almost gone. Please tell us you have a happy ending to this saga. And then you can change your "My Mood" in your signature block. Good luck.

OK, we'll try this again! Maybe I'll stay logged on long enough for this to post.

James, I talked to the service rep yesterday and was told that the parts are in and they are working on it. I'll be checking on it Friday. Hopefully it will be ready then and I can pick it up this weekend. They've been kind of slow on it!

Maybe my next post on this subject will be good news!

This is getting ridiculous! I get kicked off before I can post my reply!

Here we go again.

The dealership called and said my bike is ready. It's costing me a bit over $2000. They wound up replacing the crank and flywheels. So now I've got a nearly rebuilt engine. Add the new rings, rehoning the cylinders, new valve springs, a new stator, and a new mainshaft bearing should cover most everything.

Sure wish it had just been the compensator! Momma is ill about how much this is costing, and this is supposed to be discounted because of their bungled first diagnosis.

I'll post later and let you know how it runs out. They say that the noise is gone.

Back