free website stats program Strange sound coming from rear wheel area | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange sound coming from rear wheel area

irpete

I have about 700 miles on my new 2008 Heritage Softail and this weekend I noticed a "humming" sound coming from the area of the rear wheel on the left side. Now, when I say "humming" sound it's almost like someone is blowing a trumphet softly (it's hard to describe). This is the first time I've heard this sound. I must say that my previous bike was a Dyna Wide Glide without the windshield or bags. The windshield and bags are enabling me to hear sounds that I never heard with my old wide glide.

I've checked the drive belt and it's tight and I don't see anywhere that it may be rubbing. Anyone ever heard something like this before or have any suggestions?:bigsmiley6:

Might be the breaks i hear a slight rubbing front and rear on my 08 road king ... Do the sound go away once you reach a certain speed or get louder or quieter?

That was the first thing I thought of as well. When I first heard it I was applying brakes. I let off the brakes and the sound was still there. I didn't get to investigate further because a T-storm was coming in and I was just around the corner from the house. I have heard some rubbing of the brakes as well. I guess as they get more wear that too will go away.

If you use a puddy knife or the likes and pry the pads off the rotor and take it for a ride without using the rear brakes and the noise is gone, you found the culprit.

You need an excuse? Hmmm.

How about "I gotta go check the Stop signs over on Sycolin Rd", or "need to see if the traffic light is working over at Edwards Ferry Rd and Leeburg Bypass", or "gotta go see if they have a 1/4-20 Acorn nut at the Harley store"? Something like that.

TQ

Last edited:
I've been noticing a similar sound coming from the rear of my StreetGlide. Just started the last week or so, but sounds more like the rear tire "singing". At first I thought it might be the belt, but mine seems louder on the right side. I'm thinking it may be the hotter weather softening the rubber, but not sure.

Had a similar experience on mine. Found it to be the plastic fender extension had come loose and was rubbing on tire side-wall. It is down low in front of rear tire. It just pops into place inside frame rails behind the oil tank. Worth a look.
D.Orr

Back