free website stats program strange question? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

strange question?

Thanks for all the responses. I have an appointment in the morning after work with the indy that did my 5000 mile service. He is going to test drive it for me. I have exactly one week left on the regular warranty so hopefully if something is wrong it will be caught in time. Once again, thank you respondents. I will update the post once I have an answer that something is wrong or I'm just crazy:p

Guess I'm crazy:s Indy put bike in air, took a short spin and proclaimed all is well. I took a little 80 mile jaunt and I still feel it. I wish I could explain it better, if you fish, it feels like when you have a nibble but it comes from the rear of the bike and then a vibration in the floorboards. Think I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer just for peace of mind. Once again, a big Thank You, to all who responded.

Guess I'm crazy:s Indy put bike in air, took a short spin and proclaimed all is well. I took a little 80 mile jaunt and I still feel it. I wish I could explain it better, if you fish, it feels like when you have a nibble but it comes from the rear of the bike and then a vibration in the floorboards. Think I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer just for peace of mind. Once again, a big Thank You, to all who responded.

Isn't your bike still under factory warranty 2 years unlimited miles

I had the same feeling in my left drivers floorboard it was like a occasional tug or knock in the floorboard (hard to put a sound or feel into words) it turned out to be the bearing in the rear pulley. When the bearing in the rear pulley is just starting to go bad it is hard to check without pulling the rear wheel. When the rear pulley bearing is real bad you will hear a clicking or grinding sound. You can check the rear bearings by jacking up the bike spinning the rear wheel, if you hear any clicking or grinding then there is a bad bearing somewhere it is either the wheel bearings or the pulley bearing, loosen up the drive belt and seeing if there is side to side play in the pulley can tell you if the pulley bearing is bad. It is best to pull the rear wheel because when the pulley bearing is just starting to go out you will not get much noise or side to side play in the pulley.

I took the bike to my local dealer and explained the "sensation" to them. They had the bike for three days and did some extensive test rides. Service writer called me yesterday afternoon and said that 3 different techs have ridden the bike and experienced the same vibration and his word was "lugging." They have adjusted and tightened everything and gone over the bike extensively but can't figure out what is causing it but that it isn't excessive. Service manager then rode the bike and said put a new back tire on it. I just picked it up and rode about 50 miles. No change. Vibration/lugging/tugging still there and occurs at same interval. I can set the cruise at 3000 rpm in any gear except first and it vibrates in the boards, tugging in the rear end and like the kick stand is loose and bouncing.
Sorry to be so long winded but it's hard to explain.
I guess I can live with it but it is very frustrating.

have you checked your heat shield is not barely making contact with floor board to causing the vibration at a certian rpm?
only reason i ask is that i had a problem similar when i changed exhaust and it took a while to trouble shoot.
patrick

I just picked it up and rode about 50 miles. No change. Vibration/lugging/tugging still there and occurs at same interval.

Support the bike in a vertical position either with a wheel chock or assistant holding the passenger backrest. Get on the bike with you feet on floorboards. Start the engine, leave in neutral with clutch lever out and gradually increase RPM. Do you feel the vibration in the floorboards at the 2500-3000 range.

You said bike is completely stock. You mean totally stock, no fuel enrichment system what so ever? No download, nothing?.

(You may want to have an electric fan blowing on the cylinder heads while testing)

Does this bike have ABS and is it possible the rear brake is hanging up?

The bike does have an aftermarket windshield, otherwise completely stock. I don''t have access to a stand or wheel chock but I did go for another ride earlier. I engaged the clutch and slowly increased engine speed to 3000 rpm. Vibration still there but a definite decrease in lugging/tugging/tapping. The bike does have abs, how would I determine if brakes are dragging? Again, I hear no grinding or sqealing noises.

I don''t have access to a stand or wheel chock but I did go for another ride earlier.

You need to keep the bike still in order to determine if the vibration is caused from the engine or something other.
Divide the problems=> Vibration problem and lugging problem.
Since the bike is bone stock, I would bet the lugging you feel is actually a lean miss. Factory stock bikes are just plain old too lean. My 2009 was TERRIBLE from day 1. Dealer could not address the issue and looked at me like I was crazy.
Anything can push you to the extreme side.

Perform the vibration test while standing still otherwise you will be going in circles.. All these engines have a "band" of natural vibration that does not come from the tranny/wheels and road.
By chance is your oil pressure lower than it use to be at idle..

Back