free website stats program Strange Noise from Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange Noise from Clutch

Rebel_OK

I've got a strange noise coming from what sounds like the clutch cable upon deceleration and when letting the clutch lever out anfter shifting. The noise is louder and happens more frequently before the bike gets up to operating temperature.

What I am hearing is best described as a whistling or chirping noise upon deceleration. I believe it is coming from the clutch or primary because I can pull in on the clutch lever, disengaginging the clutch, and it goes away. As soon as I re-engage the clutch and am still decelerating it comes right back. I have also begun to hear the noise when I shift. When shifting as soon as I re-engage the clutch I hear the noise briefly, like it is as soon as the clutch plates mesh. Any ideas or suggestions?

The bike is a 2010 Ultra Classic with 19,000 miles.

Check the rear belt adjustment, and clean the belt and rear pulley

Check the upper front engine stabilizer. I had mine go bad and it started giving me little chirping noises whenever the engine was torqued.

Check the exhaust nuts @ the heads are tight:s Check the heat shields too

Had something similar happen a year or so ago. Best way that I can describe the intermittent noise was a chirping that had a buzzing tone to it. Turned out to be the drive pulley rubbing against the primary. The pulley had worked itself loose and eventually stripped the inside splines on the pulley. The only good thing about the experience was that I can vouch for AAA motorcycle roadside assistance, and in changing out the pulley, I put new gaskets and seals on the inside and outer primary and stopped an oil leak. Other than that, it was pretty much a bummer. Hope you find the cause.

Thanks for all the input. None of the suggestions made the sound go completely away. I adjusted the clutch, cleaned off the drive belt, checked nuts bolts, etc. I was about to take it to the stealer and then...I was in Liberal, Kansas this past weekend visiting family. I decided to stop in Liberal Harley Davidson while I was there just to say "hi" to the staff. I was talking with David, the parts guy, and brought up what the Ultra was doing. He looked at me and said "does it sound like birds chirping?" I told him yeah, and he said, "I know what it is. I'll be right back." He came back with a tube of poly lube and tole me to put a light coat on the edges of the drive belt. He says they have had the same thing happen several times on bikes brought in there. Something about the Kevlar getting dry and causing the squeak. Never heard of such a thing, but gave it a try and have not had the problem any more.

Thanks for all the input. None of the suggestions made the sound go completely away. I adjusted the clutch, cleaned off the drive belt, checked nuts bolts, etc. I was about to take it to the stealer and then...I was in Liberal, Kansas this past weekend visiting family. I decided to stop in Liberal Harley Davidson while I was there just to say "hi" to the staff. I was talking with David, the parts guy, and brought up what the Ultra was doing. He looked at me and said "does it sound like birds chirping?" I told him yeah, and he said, "I know what it is. I'll be right back." He came back with a tube of poly lube and tole me to put a light coat on the edges of the drive belt. He says they have had the same thing happen several times on bikes brought in there. Something about the Kevlar getting dry and causing the squeak. Never heard of such a thing, but gave it a try and have not had the problem any more.
My experience with belts has always been NO LUBE, if the belt and pulleys are OK and properly adjusted and belt alignment is good no lube is required, plus the lube will attract debris and get worked into the belt causing beak down of the fibers, call me crazy but i have seen it

Back