free website stats program Straighten Handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

Straighten Handlebars

Dr.Evil

When riding '05 Heritage Classic the handlebars seem to face to the right slightly. The bike does not pull. I think the previous owner may have dropped the bike. There are some scratched on the brake lever.
Can I easily correct this?

I assume the riser bolts are the ones with the rubber stabilizers on them. I will loosen them and see if I can straighten the bars.

Yes, they are the riser bolts with the rubber insulators. Be careful if there is a ground strap on one that you don't break it off.

hard to tell with out seeing but it is possible to get a small twist from upper triple tree to lower triple tree.so think it out before you start to bend .also keep inmind new bars are cheep!

I was able get them almost straight by loosening the riser bolts but I think the right bar might be bent slightly. I am wondering why bending the bar back is such a bad thing. Steel can be bent quite a bit before it will yield, although if you get to say “I told you so” that would obviously (EDITED).
It would be an easy choice to upgrade, if I did not like my current bar height, but I do.

Go Wings!

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able get them almost straight by loosening the riser bolts but I think the right bar might be bent slightly. I am wondering why bending the bar back is such a bad thing. Steel can be bent quite a bit before it will yield, although if you get to say “I told you so” that would obviously (EDITED).
It would be an easy choice to upgrade, if I did not like my current bar height, but I do.

Go Wings!

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

While the bars can be bent back and it is true that metel can be rebent without a noticeable problem, what you can't see is the fatigue caused by the bending. This weakens the metel at the point of of the bend and someday when you are pulling on the bars while accelerating or pushing on the bars while braking the bars may brake at this weak point.

Back