free website stats program Straight Pipes Carb Adjustment? | Harley Davidson Forums

Straight Pipes Carb Adjustment?

Sentinel

Hello. my 83 Sportster XLh has the original pipes with the baffles at the end. I put some straight pipes on and they sound much better and louder, but i was told I need to adjust the carberator if i were to put them on? Is this true? When I did take my bike out with the straights it was choking hard and felt like it was flooding. Might of been because it wasn't warmed up.

IIRC your bike would be running rich now due to less back pressure. You'll have to lean out the carb..
Put smaller jets in. You will get better performance with mufflers though. Different ones on the market that are louder than stock.
tourbox

IIRC your bike would be running rich now due to less back pressure. You'll have to lean out the carb..
Put smaller jets in. You will get better performance with mufflers though. Different ones on the market that are louder than stock.
tourbox

+1 on all of that!

Make sure the bike is fully up to operating temp. before making decisions on how it is running.

I run the Super E on 2 of my bikes. They are a good carb. You can go to S&S web site,
https://www.sscycle.com/ and should be able to get a manual for install,jetting,troubleshooting and parts for your unit.
tourbox

Back