free website stats program **Straight fishtails need what?? | Harley Davidson Forums

**Straight fishtails need what??

skizman

Hello. I want to put straight pipe fishtails on my all stock-02 Road King (electronic ignition.) I read on this subject for hours and now I'm more (EDIT) confused.
Do I need to add a baffle...and or a...power torque cone for some back pressure to keep it from running lean? I will not and cannot spend a few hundred bucks for a tuner.
Your info is appreciated!

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
images
On the cheap you can install these for back pressure, if you change your air filter you will for sure need more fuel

Jack has you covered for a cheap way to get some reversion/back pressure from the straight pipes. From my experience straight pipes are at their best when running full throttle, hence the name "drag pipes". AR cones can help and the units from Big City Thunder can help to if you care to spend a little $$. Like Jack said if you have added a free flowing AC or are going to you will need to add fuel to the mix.

Hello. I want to put straight pipe fishtails on my all stock-02 Road King (electronic ignition.) I read on this subject for hours and now I'm more EDIT confused.
Do I need to add a baffle...and or a...power torque cone for some back pressure to keep it from running lean? I will not and cannot spend a few hundred bucks for a tuner.
Your info is appreciated!

Pay me now or pay me later........
If exhaust, intake and fuel system are not properly match you risk damage further down the road. The old adage is if you do not do it right the first time you definitely will do it right the second time....
So I would just leave exhaust alone and right till you are able to do it correctly the first time.....

Thanks for the info, but to get a little more fuel with the straight pipes.....is the power cone the best bet....or...the eye bolt?
Plus if I went with the eye bolt, it can't be installed on fishtails, so can it be put in the front of the slip on where it attaches to the header pipe?
Thanks!

Thanks for the info, but to get a little more fuel with the straight pipes.....is the power cone the best bet....or...the eye bolt?
Plus if I went with the eye bolt, it can't be installed on fishtails, so can it be put in the front of the slip on where it attaches to the header pipe?
Thanks!
If the fishtails are slip ons, pull them off drill from the bottom, place the eye bolts equal distances in the slip ons and reinstall them. I ran fish tails on 2 baggers like this

The eye bolts can be manipulated into place with a mechanical finger, I like to use a copper( Brake hose) washer with some Ultra Copper Rtv to seal them Keep in mind Fishtail Straight pipes will be loud and you will have decel popping even with more fuel, this has been my experiences in the past

26909d1389317969-ct-pickup-tool.jpg
This will help with your install, available for a couple bucks @ harbour Freight

Thanks Jack. I have one of those grabber tools.
Would somebody just answer this question>>>>>>
To go with fishtail slip ons...and NOT changing the air filter...which is recommended to use.....
Eye bolt
baffle
power torque cone

Use one....two...or all three??
Thanks.

Thanks Jack. I have one of those grabber tools.
Would somebody just answer this question>>>>>>
To go with fishtail slip ons...and NOT changing the air filter...which is recommended to use.....
Eye bolt
baffle
power torque cone

Use one....two...or all three??
Thanks.

This is a loaded question, if you want LOUD go with the torque cones and eye bolts, if you want performance and a bit quieter use the baffles, they will lessen the decel popping also

Back