free website stats program Storage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Storage

I change my oils when they are due to be changed. My engine is getting close to 4k, so time to change. I have let 2k engine oil and 4k primary oil sit for 4 months. I just don't believe in some of the over protective behavior that goes on some times. If someone has proof that used oil can shorten the life of engine and drivetrain componants, I would like see it.

I change my oils when they are due to be changed. My engine is getting close to 4k, so time to change. I have let 2k engine oil and 4k primary oil sit for 4 months. I just don't believe in some of the over protective behavior that goes on some times. If someone has proof that used oil can shorten the life of engine and drivetrain componants, I would like see it.

If you do your homework, you'll find that the acids in the oil from incomplete combustion or fuel that bypasses the rings can and will eat at the bearings in most engine when allowed to stand for prolonged periods and not ridden. This is not to mention the moisture that accumulates in the oil either.

It's your bike and you can leave what ever you want in it for as long as you wish. I feel that no matter what was posted that you would do what you want anyway. JMHO.

If you do your homework, you'll find that the acids in the oil from incomplete combustion or fuel that bypasses the rings can and will eat at the bearings in most engine when allowed to stand for prolonged periods and not ridden. This is not to mention the moisture that accumulates in the oil either.

It's your bike and you can leave what ever you want in it for as long as you wish. I feel that no matter what was posted that you would do what you want anyway. JMHO.

I guess I figured someone had already done the homework on this subject. Yes I do what I want, based on experiences of intelligent people, research, and data if it is available. Is there any data on this advice that you know of?

There is no doubt that many members including you have far more experience with Harleys then I ever will. But it is my personal nature and every ones responsibility to question things that they don't understand or don't believe is entirely factual.

Hi: is there a minim amout of miles the engine oil can have? I have 1500 on the oil and only need a thousand more for the 5000 service, which I know I will not be able to get
on before having to put the bike away. I also live in PA conditions are not too extreme.
What do you guys think? throw me a bone here!

The miles is up to the owner. I change oil at 2500 with filter. It's excessive but for the cost of the bike, I can justify it and being air cooled is harder on the oil too.

Like mentioned above, It's the acids and other contaminents in the oil that cause the problem. Also if you did a lot of slow driving or short trips can also play into the oil changing factor. Definitely change it before the winter lay up period if you want to keep the engine in good condition. It's not so much that the oil wears out but what is in the oil that you are trying to remove for lay up.

I change mine before lay up also. The only problem I run into, if you want to call it a problem, is I will ride mine in the winter when those occasional nice and sunny but not necessarily warm days pop up once in a while so my bike is not dormant for the entire time. I wonder if I should just skip those rides and wait for spring or would that be over protective?

As long as you ride long enough to cook out any moisture in the oil (over 10 miles) you should be OK with the occasional ride.

I ride year round so I feel your pain to have to put your bike to sleep for the winter. If it was me facing this choice this is what I would do. Get two 20" box fans, place one on each side blowing on the engine and then fire the baby up! Let it run up to operating temperature and enjoy the time and sound. Why not!

This will be my second winter with this bike. I have a small riding window here in wahington so it works out to about 3k a season anyways if we have nothing big planned (nothing big this year :cry). So all three holes around October-November with Spectro and Mobil1 syn...yeah baby!! I am trying to talk my buddy into going halvies with me on a scavenger so we can do a true change each season. Still may just get one myself anyhoo.

Oh goodness.. Doctor Doug's reply is just too funny (#18). If I did that... the Wife would call the boys with the white jackets and have me locked up somewhere.

Back