storage

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Captain Art, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Captain Art

Captain Art Member

For anyone storing their bike in a cold shed or garage....... how are you keeping it looking good from sweating, chrome tarnishing, etc?

2. Gezzer Glide

Gezzer Glide Active Member Contributor

I used to keep a bike in a metal shed but it kept getting wet from condisation. A friend told me to put a lamp with a 40 watt bulb under the bike and leave on when its cold and damp outside. The heat from the bulb was enough to keep it dry. I covered the bike and did what he said and it worked great. I left the light on all the time and no more condisation.....

3. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Good question. The first year that I had my bike I polished it up real good one last time before putting her to bed for the Winter. To my horror I noticed that there was condensation all over that bike when the garage floor would eventually turn over from being warm to being cold. In the Spring I had to work at polishing the pipes really good because there were black spots all over them. (Precursors to rust?). This year I washed, dried, & waxed her real good and sprayed the engine & exhaust with WD 40. I sprayed some on a rag and applied it to the chrome where I wouldn't get the spray on the paint. Hopefully come Springtime it will be okay. I'd like to keep a low watt light bulb under the breathable cover like some have sugessted but I worry too much about fire.

4. DANNY MC

DANNY MC Active Member

"ACF50/S100" thread only a few days ago covers some ideas ref this problem,ive washed/waxed and then covered with ACF50,never used S100,another good product is Scottoiler 365,dont knw if u get it Stateside,i have also covered garage floor with 2 inch cardboard to stop floor sweating when cold...1 Q i havnt asked is once sprayed do i wipe/rub it in or just let it settle on bike..? Take Care and all who can ride,(NO SALT)ride safe...

5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

No storage for the bike this year,it's not going to snow in Ontario!!:newsmile100:

6. Haywire

Haywire Active Member

Good luck with that Steve This is Canada eh!:newsmile100::newsmile100:

7. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

I usually put my bike on my lift and cover it, and I usually wipe it off a few times when I am not riding it. Not sure what I am going to do this year with my bike? Probably just coat it with S100 also.