free website stats program storage | Harley Davidson Forums

storage

Captain Art

For anyone storing their bike in a cold shed or garage....... how are you keeping it looking good from sweating, chrome tarnishing, etc?

I used to keep a bike in a metal shed but it kept getting wet from condisation. A friend told me to put a lamp with a 40 watt bulb under the bike and leave on when its cold and damp outside. The heat from the bulb was enough to keep it dry. I covered the bike and did what he said and it worked great. I left the light on all the time and no more condisation.....

Good question. The first year that I had my bike I polished it up real good one last time before putting her to bed for the Winter. To my horror I noticed that there was condensation all over that bike when the garage floor would eventually turn over from being warm to being cold. In the Spring I had to work at polishing the pipes really good because there were black spots all over them. (Precursors to rust?). This year I washed, dried, & waxed her real good and sprayed the engine & exhaust with WD 40. I sprayed some on a rag and applied it to the chrome where I wouldn't get the spray on the paint. Hopefully come Springtime it will be okay. I'd like to keep a low watt light bulb under the breathable cover like some have sugessted but I worry too much about fire.

"ACF50/S100" thread only a few days ago covers some ideas ref this problem,ive washed/waxed and then covered with ACF50,never used S100,another good product is Scottoiler 365,dont knw if u get it Stateside,i have also covered garage floor with 2 inch cardboard to stop floor sweating when cold...1 Q i havnt asked is once sprayed do i wipe/rub it in or just let it settle on bike..? Take Care and all who can ride,(NO SALT)ride safe...

No storage for the bike this year,it's not going to snow in Ontario!!:newsmile100:

I usually put my bike on my lift and cover it, and I usually wipe it off a few times when I am not riding it. Not sure what I am going to do this year with my bike? Probably just coat it with S100 also.

Back