free website stats program storage | Harley Davidson Forums

storage

i'm about to go out of town for a job next week.
this being my first harley, i want to know about storing the bike.
the company i'm working for will pay for leaving it in a parking garage (open to the public but, supposedly, "secure.") but i'm thinkin' that doesn't sound like a good idea in the middle of san francisco. big theft city & i had some issues with my BMW there years ago. i won't be able to ride much, anyway, while there.
so ... if i leave the bike stored at home, what do i need to do?
obviously, a battery tender. but is pouring some Stabilizer in the tank over-kill?
it'll only be stored about 5 weeks.
searching this site for storage tips they seem to mostly refer to winter storage.

what do you think?

cheers.

so ... if i leave the bike stored at home, what do i need to do?
obviously, a battery tender. but is pouring some Stabilizer in the tank over-kill?
it'll only be stored about 5 weeks.
searching this site for storage tips they seem to mostly refer to winter storage.

what do you think?

cheers.

Same concept as winter storage - fill the tank and put the stabilizer in it. If you have a petcock,make sure it's in the off position. If it's possible - put it up on a lift or put straps on both sides of handle bars , tie it of to the walls of your garage and put it in a "straight up & down " position to relieve some strain on the jiffy/side stand. Just a little thing I do - is put a couple pieces of carpet under each tire.

Also -- rinse it off ,dry it and wipe it down with pledge!!

Last edited:
mine has a centerstand. i suppose that'll take the place of trying to strap it down.
i don't think i have a petcock ... but i'll double-check that tonight.
and rinse and pledge ... absolutely!
thanks!

I keep reading about pledge, is this really a good thing to put on the paint? What about the plastic parts/chrome/plexiglas?

for five weeks, I would probably top it off, maybe put some Stabil in it since most fuel is ethonal anymore, and hook up the battery tender. 5 weeks isn't that long. Depending on the mileage since your last oil change, I would change it if it was close to 3000. Climate has a lot to do with what needs and doesn't need to be done, but your bike wont disintegrate in 5 weeks. They usually sit a lot longer than that on the show room floor.:s

Back