free website stats program Storage at dealership | Harley Davidson Forums

Storage at dealership

fxst1450

I called about storing my 05 fxst and was quoted a good price that included a oil change. I still use dino oil, should I let them change my oil using the harley synthetic or should I see if I can supply my own oil? Another thing is i've always stored my bike up on a jack and was told that that isn't necessary anymore with modern tires.

I called about storing my 05 fxst and was quoted a good price that included a oil change. I still use dino oil, should I let them change my oil using the harley synthetic or should I see if I can supply my own oil? Another thing is i've always stored my bike up on a jack and was told that that isn't necessary anymore with modern tires.

If they won't do what YOU want, find another place to store the bike.

I suggest taking in your own FULL synthetic engine oil and FULL synthetic tranny gear lube. HD Formula + is fine for the primary.

TQ

What oil do you have in it now / how many miles / how long in storage???

And the "isnt necessary to store bike up on the jack" thing , just remember the dealer sells tires also. Maybe thats why they said it!!!!:s

I store mine in the garage but it's heated. We keep our bikes parked on a piece of carpet with the Battery Tenders plugged in.

Read up on the oil and Tranny fluid threads here. Dont use the HD Syn3. There are several better options in my opinion. Take them the oil you want to use or change your fluids yourself.

mine sits outside covered up . not to my liking but it is what i have to do right now . i dont leave it sit in dirt 3 months if that between rides we ride when it is 30 here in pa by NJ

I store mine in a semi heated garage, and move it around every now and then, so it is not sitting on the tires in the same spot, with the tender plugged in

Detail,then park on the Harley flooring in semi heated garage, Battery Tender, cover with sheet and then motorcycle cover and forget about it till spring. I usually will park it early December and start getting bike ready to ride in the middle of March.

Should be no problem supplying your own oil & see if this brings down the storage price a little. Also, elevating during lenghty storage is good option - prevents flat spots on tires/tire rot & relieves weight on suspension. Keep mine covered, plugged-in & elevated on jack from Nov - Mar.

Might just be me, but I don't really trust letting my bike sit at another place where I can't see it. Also, winter's time to get "jiggy" w/the mods...;)

Should be no problem supplying your own oil & see if this brings down the storage price a little. Also, elevating during lenghty storage is good option - prevents flat spots on tires/tire rot & relieves weight on suspension. Keep mine covered, plugged-in & elevated on jack from Nov - Mar.

Might just be me, but I don't really trust letting my bike sit at another place where I can't see it. Also, winter's time to get "jiggy" w/the mods...;)

I agree. There is something about being able to go out and see you bike when ever you want to. When it is not home with you it feels like part of the family is missing.

Back