free website stats program Stooopid question about turn signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Stooopid question about turn signals

gasbag

First, I have searched for the answer here and googled it and come up empty and it is probably a dumb question anyway.

I have a 2006 Heritage.

I do not understand how the turn signals work. I know, you push the left-it blinks, push right-it blinks. But what makes them self cancel? I have my own ideas, mostly related to the tranny, but I am not going to embarrass myself by stating them.

This is just a curiosity question. My signals work fine. This is one of those things that gets into my brain and makes my hair itch. After all these years I finally have a Harley and I am just trying to figure things out a little bit.

Thanks for any info you can give.

I also got to ride the last two days. Weather was very nice (50 and sun).
Man it felt good.:D

Now it's down to 30 again.............:newsmile038:

The older bikes used a reed switch in the speedo that counted pulses to turn the signals off. The newer ones are time and distance and if you stand still they do not cancel.

I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a "stoopid question"

Ya don't know what ya don't know.

Thanks for the explanation Glider, cause I always thought they were on a lean sensor.:D

Glider,

Thank you. As usual I was way off.
But now I have learned something and my hair no longer itches.......:)

The older bikes used a reed switch in the speedo that counted pulses to turn the signals off. The newer ones are time and distance and if you stand still they do not cancel.

Aren't the newer ones also tied into the Bank angle sensor? How else could the self cancel when you make a corner.

I turned on my blinker going down the freeway and counted the blinks until it shut off, and I think it was 10 or 15, but it was the same every time. If you make a sharp turn they shut off when you come out of it.

Is the same thing that turns the light out in the refrigerator??:newsmile057:

Hmmmm.:eam Ya know, now I'm not really sure. Every time I sneak over and open the door, the light is already on :shock

Back