free website stats program stone in drive belt | Harley Davidson Forums

stone in drive belt

glimmerman

cleaning the rear wheel today and found a stone pushed through the belt on the outside edge. i know where i got it, on u s 250 in va. last june. the stone i removed is about 5/16 to 3/8 in diameter. the manual says replace the belt if the hole is near the edge, which it is. should i get the drive sprockets replaced as well? there is some damage on the rear in several places. don't want to ruin a new belt. 32k on the bike. get a new primary shoe and check the cam shoes as well? 01 rk police. thanks. can still ride the ultra til the work bike gets back.

should i get the drive sprockets replaced as well?

If you can smooth out any sharp edges with a file or sand paper, I do not think you HAVE to change out the sprockets. But check it over carefully to make sure they are not gonna damage the new belt.

get a new primary shoe?

Since you are gonna have the primary apart, you might want to change the shoe out. Probably overkill, but it is cheap. As an alternative, consider some of the auto-adjusting systems from Hayden or HD.

cam (chain tensioner) shoes as well?

DEFINITELY! At least replace them. Consider one of the up-grade schemes. I did the roller-chain conversion. Check self-help for some discussion on this.

can still ride the ultra til the work bike gets back.

There ya go!!

TQ

I would take the advice of the shop regarding pully changes. The pully can wear the belt very quickly and a belt change is not cheap.
kemo

If you are going to tear it down to change the belt, change every suspect part while you're in there. Do it right the first time and you'll save $$ and have peace of mind when you ride it.

thanks. i am going to change out the pulleys, upgrade the primary and go w/ stock cam chain shoes. if it went this long, it'll go a lot longer now that i have 2 to ride. this is my new work bike. everyone i spoke to said to change pulleys as they wear similar to a chain but much less noticable. a belt is softer and would go pretty quickly. not a $700 job i want to repeat soon. so i'll wait a bit as i owe uncle sam this year and won't have xmas in april.

Back