free website stats program stolen 62 pan head cases? | Harley Davidson Forums

stolen 62 pan head cases?

RichardK

Hi there,
I have a 62 FLH pan that I am trying to sell. I had a guy interested but once he looked at the case numbers he said the style of the 6 was wrong and that meant they were stolen and modified cases. My 6 has a straight back and he said that it should be curved. I have done some research but I can't find any info on the style of number that it should be. Can anyone give me some info on this? Greatly appreciate it.

Richard

Well you do have a title for the bike I assume it is registerd an insured ,So that rite there would say that those numbers are legit , The guy maybe rite about the VIN stamping on the cases they did use diffrent style numbers on some years with flatheads and Pans and if I remember it was the number 4 and 6 that had variations the 4 would be either closed or open at the top and the 6 was as he stated to you staight back or curved I dont remember the years and what stamping should look like on your year, but I know I have the info in my garage somewhere ,I will dig around for it, but I would suggest maybe talking with the guys at the hydroglide forum , the belly stamping might give you a clue also, or if you could track down the prior owner and ask if the OEM cases were blown and got replaced with aftermarket one and then did a re-stamp, but if that was done there should be some other numbers there but most likly on the inner of the cases. I bought a 57 basket over 10 years ago from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy who said he had the title , but he got it from a guy that never gave him the title this was a 25 year old basket case , It took me over a year to get the guys name who said he had the title and he gave me another name , I have a friend in Law enforcement who ran the guys name and came up with address .Well to make a long story short I got intouch with the guy and he was happy to help me out he got a new title and signed it over to me costed me a few bucks paying for all the fees and some extra for his troubles it took almost 3 years to get the title , The motor is done just sitten on the bench when I decide in the build I want I will proceed but for now its a Basket but with a title, So what I am saying you might have to start investgating the history of your bike and you will find all the previous owners will be happy you got in touch with them

Back