free website stats program Stock Ignition "lock" offers no security | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock Ignition "lock" offers no security

jody7734

All,

I walked out of work last friday to find the lights on my bike. Somebody tried to jack my 09 FLHRC. They simply turned the locked ignition with something.

Here is what the inside looks like after the fact:
jody7734-albums-stock_ignition_switch_lock_from_road_glide-picture1939-after_an_attempted_theft_of_09_flhrc_the_ignition_would_not_lock_any_longer_i_decided_to_take_it_apart_before_paying_over_100_for_a_new_one_here_is_what_i_found_inside.jpg

Here is a cloesup:

jody7734-albums-stock_ignition_switch_lock_from_road_king-picture1938-detail.jpg

Wasnt going to pay the dealer over $100 for new piece of plastic, so I fixed with a piece of 14 ga sheet metal and some epoxy:
jody7734-albums-stock_ignition_switch_lock_from_road_king-picture1937-fix_small_peice_of_14_gauge_sheetmetal_and_some_epoxy_no_way_i_was_paying_for_a_new_piece_of_plastic.jpg

I dont think they even used big ones, not a sratch on the ignition at all. From the looks of it you could force with a small pair of slip joints.

All good points, but you take the thing out of the dash and it weighs 3 lbs and has a high security barrel key, just think it.s kind irony to have all that metal sitting on top of a 3/16 inch thick piece of plastic. In other news the fork lock held up very well, the guys destroyed the stock bars trying to break it. saw a statistic that 84% of all motorcycle thefts were ride aways. Agreed nothing can stop a 3 guys with a panel van from taking your scoot.

Several trains of thought at work regarding your ignition lock...metal for strength, plastic for the weakest link so you do not have to replace the entire assembly...:bigsmiley22: Kind of like that all steel gear train, but one brass or plastic gear intended to be the "sacrificial part" to prevent serious damage. :small3d015: In the end, compromise wins...would you want a repairable "almost stolen" bike, expensive to repair bike or a"missing" one...anyway you slice it you were lucky. :D

Some guys (wink, wink) intercept the wire downstream of the ignition switch and place a small toggle switch in another location on the bike. This will really slow down most crooks. Most of them are dumber than a rock and when the stunt they were taught by some other dummy doesn't work, they will panic and leave your bike alone. Of course, you will have to fix whatever they booger up, but you will still have your bike.

As others have said, if they pick it up and put it in a P.U. or van, you are outta luck.

I have LoJack and during my initial testing of it had to drive over 10 miles from the house to have it signal me. If I was at a meeting where they have you turn off your cell phone, my bike would be in another state, canada, or mexico by the time I received the signal. Then you have to call them to activate the stolen recovery. Not exactly as advertised...

Back