free website stats program Stock compression ratio? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock compression ratio?

jaxdwg

I was wondering what the stock compression ratio is on an 02 wide glide and was also wondering what compression ratio on a 95" I could go to without using compresion releases. I want to run 211 cams with the upgraded cam plate and oil pump but with that upgrade I want to order the right ones.---jack

Not sure what stock compression was but have done many 95'' kits with 211 cams & S/E high comression pistons and never put compression releases in any of them, also never had to put a new starter in any of the bikes, and it's been years.

Not sure what stock compression was but have done many 95'' kits with 211 cams & S/E high compression pistons and never put compression releases in any of them, also never had to put a new starter in any of the bikes, and it's been years.

THIS ARE MY HIGH COMPRESSION ISSUES

I have gone with wiesco 10.5/1 @ about 215/217 lbs of static compression on the cyl's.... It was a bit much compression for the BUILT 95" and flowed- and all the work done to it ,,,, SHORT LIVED (2000 FXTS TC).... The crank rod started to shred shinny metal and WHOOPSY..... NEW CRANK ,TOTALLY all new bearings..

THEN rebuilt, I went with Scrm'n eagle teflon coated HD pistons @ 10.25/1 with better results.......BUT to my surprise it STILL kicked out 206/208 lbs of static compression...91 gas the least i could get away with...

This set-up with the 570SS gear drives is probably still running today after i put short of 50,000 mi. on that motor..

I USED a small amount of Diesel to combat any fuel lower than 91 octane..... (no co2 sensors to ruin).. An inexpensive additive 6 oz. to a gal of gas .... IT WORKS

Now mind you I had a very GOOD programable unit for fully adjusting spark advance or I should say RETARD with many different CURVES and it was necessary... I NEVER USED COMPRESSION RELEASES but could of used them on the 10.5/1... THAT compression was A BIT MUCH for the type of riding I do NOW in my grey beard days......

Starting a HOT motor, with lots of compression(10.5/1), TAKES a lot of care and the KNOWLEDGE learned from the many starter drives gone bad by KICKING BACK....

got the advance (retard) right on the 10.25/1 and no problems BUT still careful when starting the HOT motor.

I would not go OVER 10.0/1 OR 10.2/1 MAX. on HD's motors UNLESS racing or JUST WANT A HOT BIKE.... BEEN THAR & DONE THAT.....

THE 211 cams you want is where i would be and S/E flat tops are probably NOT over 10/1.. good choices

For ME an everyday bike, I NOW want an easy maintenance - up keep with dependability... 09FLHR full stage one, with TFI...

I do have a 1200 HOT Sport Roadster for WHEN I twist the cap backwards..

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
Thanks BUBBIE; That is the kind of info I was looking for. I just want a good running crisp response scoot without getting rad and still maintaining easy starts and good reliability. I'll see if they make a 9.8-10.0 pistons or thereabouts. I already have 95k on the bike and don't want to overpressure the lower end. And thank you steve07 for the stock c/r. Now I can start ordering everything----yehaaaa

Well, I ordered up the 95" teflon lined forged pistons (9.4:1) and cylinders, got the upgraded cam plate and pump, got the 211 cams and n65c needle and 195 main jet. I also just received all the tools needed for the job from Georges Garage,nice tools. So as soon as the parts show up (probably tomorrow) I'll get started. It won't be a rocket but then again I don't want a rocket, just another 10-15 ponies and a good kick-up on the torque. Thanks to all who helped me decide the best way to go and still maintain real good reliability, I believe this will do exactly that. I'll report after I've got a good feel for how it turned out-----jack

Well, I ordered up the 95" teflon lined forged pistons (9.4:1) and cylinders, got the upgraded cam plate and pump, got the 211 cams and n65c needle and 195 main jet. I also just received all the tools needed for the job from Georges Garage,nice tools. So as soon as the parts show up (probably tomorrow) I'll get started. It won't be a rocket but then again I don't want a rocket, just another 10-15 ponies and a good kick-up on the torque. Thanks to all who helped me decide the best way to go and still maintain real good reliability, I believe this will do exactly that. I'll report after I've got a good feel for how it turned out-----jack

JACK,
YOU are going to really LIKE what you get out of that BUILD... GLAD to see you are staying W/STOCK carb w/jet-needle change..

I put a 42 mikuni on my 2000 dyna and other than MORE GAS USED FROM EXECRATOR PUMP.... NO difference in running... THE MIKUNI was a LITTLE MORE RESPONSIVE than the hd carb...NOT WORTH the change (HIND SIGHT), as HARLEY CARBS from that TIME PEROID are HARD TO BEAT when SET UP RIGHT (proper jetting for fuel mix) NO POPPING BACK....

A little tweak here and there on HD carbs, and raising the main jet needle by 2 washers seams to make the BIG difference..(some where posted on site)

DON't know with your n65c needle change,,,,, IF NEEDED?(raising it)
I think you can find a BLURB on the carb AND

********TQ**************
KNOWS WHERE INFORMATION is for CARB MODIFY in self help??????....GET HIS OPINION ON CARB MOD with that needle(n65c)....(any one please)

THAT is all I have for now.... GOOD BUILD and PLEASE report ...

I'm sure IF you have any QUESTIONS the MODS and members HERE (me) are able and willing to lend a verbal hand..

signed....BUBBIE

JACK,
YOU are going to really LIKE what you get out of that BUILD... GLAD to see you are staying W/STOCK carb w/jet-needle change..

Bubbie; I've had good luck with my carb, other than the farts when cold, which I fixed with the 48 slow jet. Talking to some guys and they said the n65c needle has a sharper taper so it basically does the same as the washers (we'll see) and the 195 should give me the extra fuel when I twist her up. I still want the fuel mileage when cruising but I know it won't be as good as before but I'll get there a little quicker to make up for that, ha ha. I'll keep you posted when I get it dialed in----cheers--- and thanks--jack

JACK,

I put a 42 mikuni on my 2000 dyna and other than MORE GAS USED FROM EXECRATOR PUMP.... NO difference in running... THE MIKUNI was a LITTLE MORE RESPONSIVE than the hd carb...NOT WORTH the change (HIND SIGHT), as HARLEY CARBS from that TIME PEROID are HARD TO BEAT when SET UP RIGHT (proper jetting for fuel mix) NO POPPING BACK....

A little tweak here and there on HD carbs, and raising the main jet needle by 2 washers seams to make the BIG difference..(some where posted on site)

DON't know with your n65c needle change,,,,, IF NEEDED?(raising it)
I think you can find a BLURB on the carb AND

********TQ**************
KNOWS WHERE INFORMATION is for CARB MODIFY in self help??????....GET HIS OPINION ON CARB MOD with that needle(n65c)....(any one please)

THAT is all I have for now.... GOOD BUILD and PLEASE report ...

I'm sure IF you have any QUESTIONS the MODS and members HERE (me) are able and willing to lend a verbal hand..

signed....BUBBIE

I finished the job last night and it runs really nice and strong. The carb worked out really good too, I took a 190 jet (couldn't find a 195) and measured it and openned it up about .005" and drilled the plug of the idle mixture screw, openned it 1/4 turn and installed the n65c needle. It was 28* last night so I didn't go but 5-6 miles. No slow farts, instant accel and real nice idle and when I get more miles I'll put in new plugs and do a plug run for main jetting. It took about 8 hrs to do it all and the special inner cam bearing tools from Gearges garage worked perfectly. Thanks for all the advice guys, I couldn't have made the right choices without you, now if the temps would go up a few degrees I'd go put more miles on it----jack

Back