free website stats program Stinkbugs under heat shields | Harley Davidson Forums

Stinkbugs under heat shields

Porter

We have quite a few stinkbugs this year. I don't know why but about 30 of them (a guess, maybe more, they were hard to count all burned up with a flashlight this morning) decided that they liked the space between my heat sheilds and the headers. I would have thought they would have been smart enough to get out of there when I started my bike up this morning. Between the smoke and the smell, I thought my bike was on fire this morning with some sort of electrical issue.
I actually ran back in the house to get a fire extinguisher, not know what was going on and almost dropped my bike getting off in a hurry.

I took the cage in just because I didn't want to "bake" them on any more than they were. I will see what mess I have when I get home. Has anyone else had this issue?:34:

I bet that smelled (cooked stink bugs)...suppose they were looking for warmth. Another sign of the changing season...

Yuck too - we got those real bad in CA - even came out from picture holes in walls. My wife called them "pincher bugs."

Last edited:
Havent had any, "i dont think" on the bike, but they are always on the window, or the siding on the house. Then if you squish them they leave that awful smell.
I heard they cant even be treated for, they can spray but it really doesnt do anything. I dont think at my house anyway, they were as bad as last year, but have talked to people 30 miles away, that say the are infested with them.

They arrived in the states in 1996 from Asia, not sure which country. I believe they hitched a ride in a container that came into port Newark.
As for the bugs themselves, if you kill one, it releases an odor that will attract more stinkbugs. The look prehistoric.
Read it in the Newark Star Ledger. I had tons of them in my garden this year.

you are right they did come from Asia, although harmless, they are definetly ugly looking bugs. I think their eyesight must be bad to, because they fly and crash into walls. Probably why they have the armor shell

It was a mess to clean. I wrapped the pipes in a towel and poured hot water on it 3 times and crusties came off with a nylon brush. Soaked the shields in a bucket of hot water and soap. I think this should not be an issue too much longer as it is getting colder, but now there is one more thing for me to check before I ride....I can still smell the smell. Ewww.

I think this was a pretty rare event. I would have traded it for hitting the lottery though....

Back