free website stats program Still looks like it will cook your leg | Harley Davidson Forums

Still looks like it will cook your leg

escorial

I was looking to see if V&H has come out with the true duals for the 09 models and was really suprised to see this

Vance Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

That set up looks like the stock HD setup and also looks like a lot of heat will be generated in that area. I wonder why they were not able to make a set of the regular type TD?

Perhaps the design of the 09 Tour bikes will not let a conventional TD set up be mounted.

I'm thinking on getting a 09 Ultra but I have read that many owners are still getting roasted even with the new exhaust routing! I'm not about to drop that kind of coin only to be stull burnt. Also one of the reasons I like the UC is because of the lowers and the extra storage, what is the use of having them if you have to remove them in the summer...

I just don't know where some are getting information that the new 09 pipes are still roasting legs. The next time someone tells you that the new touring bikes are burning their legs, ask them if they own the bike or they are just passing on "crap" they heard from a buddy who lives in the next town.
There is one other possible scenario I guess. And that would be that these people who make this claim are actually riding in Bermuda shorts. If that is the case, they ought to get burnt.
I have been riding in blue jeans everyday for the last 100 days or so in everything from 105 degree weather down to 50 degree weather and it ain't happened yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't know where some are getting information that the new 09 pipes are still roasting legs. The next time someone tells you that the new touring bikes are burning their legs, ask them if they own the bike or they are just passing on "crap" they heard from a buddy who lives in the next town.
There is one other possible scenario I guess. And that would be that these people who make this claim are actually riding in Bermuda shorts. If that is the case, they ought to get burnt.
I have been riding in blue jeans everyday for the last 100 days or so in everything from 105 degree weather down to 50 degree weather and it ain't happened yet.

All depends on the weather, air flow, etc. I have over 4k on my bike and have only experienced the excessive heat when riding two up (for the most part). I believe it is because of how the air is blocked from flowing over the exhaust due to two legs in the way. When I ride by myself I have no problems. On the other hand, I have ridden two up and have had no problem whatsoever. I think it all depends on how your riding (stop and go, slow, fast, etc) and the weather (humid, dry, hot, cold).

However, when it is hot, it is hot as hell. I think switching to good synthetic oils and an EFI tuner will do the trick.

Those new V&H cross over pipes for the '09s are awesome though I am getting those!

I own a 09 Ultra. I guess it depends on what you call burnt. I will tell you this, they run as hot as the 07 and 08 models. That is a fact. They do have the heat shield which helps and can be added to an earlier model, but that sure does not cure the problem. I have also added a TFI unit, as well as a stage one kit with JackPot slip on pipes and SE air cleaner. This along with Mobil One full syn oil has helped as well. It runs cooler than stock by a long shot, but is still noticeable. If you want to get rid of the heat to the next level, you will need true duals as well. This is a straight forward no BS post. Just the facts. That said, I love this bike with zero regrets. Nothing wrong that I can't live with.

The never ending story. Yep, I run syn in my bike, installed stage I and a race tuner ... but those few degrees aren't going to make difference. It is air cooled, not liquid cooled. When HD switched from the 88 to the 96, it got hotter ... period. It's physics. If you can't stand the heat, buy an older bike, a V-Rod or a metric. Not trying to sound like a grumpy old man, just stating the facts.

Enjoy the ride, I do.

You know your 100% correct, why put out that type of cash only to dump more into somthing that will still be hot. I will wait till MOCO comes with a watercooled tour bike I like to ride in comfort and not regret everytime I get on such a nice looking sound bike that only causes pain to my body as well as my wallett.

As far as I can see, the Vance & Hines look like they hang down pretty far, cornering to the right might drag 'em. BUT they look like they'd keep the heat off the passenger some better, and they look good.
The Bub's look like they REALLY cook the passenger's left foot. REALLY! Just add a little BarBQue sauce in their left boot, and pull over in 30 miles for a light snack!! (just kidding- I don't want to be banned for advocating cannibalism!)
I'm just going to run the stock pipes for now; I've ridden in no more than 75 degree weather with my 09 SG, but come on, every HD I've ever owned got hot in the Summer, not a big surprise there. If it's really an issue, I know the Honda Big Wingers have AC on them, as well as reverse gear!

Back