free website stats program Still having turn signal problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Still having turn signal problems

This problem started showing up last season near the end of the year I have not done any thing to it in the way of modifacations Last year it was a lot less severe and only happened a few times . You said it could be a thermal problem where would I check for this at

I have tried every thing I know to make the turn signals work I.am going to call a couple of bike shops in my area on Monday to see if they want to work on it . I will tell you how I make out

Last edited by a moderator:
ers and the same thing happened role the bike forward or backward and they go out . Some times even slightly rolling the bike in aforward or backward motion can cause this to happen?

I did not know that HD actually had auto cancel turn signals 13 years ago that were triggered and driven by a pendulum. I thought that concept came out about 6 years ago. I must be wrong on that.

If it really is a pendulum system, front to rear motion does not count. Only thing that matters is side to side.

I did not know that HD actually had auto cancel turn signals 13 years ago that were triggered and driven by a pendulum. I thought that concept came out about 6 years ago. I must be wrong on that.

If it really is a pendulum system, front to rear motion does not count. Only thing that matters is side to side.

My 92 softail has auto cancel turn signals that work well
however on the 93 sportster were fine in the town but cancelled far too soon when going at faster speeds it seems to cancel at a set distance so i disconnected the green wire from the tsm so that i dont have to keep checking if they are still on
so auto cancel has been around for a while

Brian

The earlier Harleys had a reed switch in the speedo that would pulse and give the signal to cancel the blinking lights at a pre set time. Holding the switch in the on position when activating would give you a longer ON time.

Now it all makes a lot more sense. I was wondering what was going on with the OP's system.
No pendulums in '97. What was I thinking. Tks Glider.

Yes I was. The way I understand it, the pendulum (accelerometer) is used for both tip over (45 degrees) and auto cancel turn signal on lean. And when the OP said it would cancel rolling forward I could not relate. But now it all makes sense with him having a glass reed switch.

So many engineering changes and improvements from model year to model year. Lots to learn.

Hey guys...I believe I have fixed the problem. I talked to a shop today and he said take the speed sensor out and clean it off. I tried this, and it works now! Man, that was tough. Thanks for the replies. :bigsmiley8:

Actually an informative thread, I believed the speed sensor was a "secondary" sensor, which Weve proved saying that the speedometer still worked when he disconnected the speed sensor, which says that TSSM uses only the speed sensor and tilt sensor (if equipped) to initiate signal cancelation, and not the ECM clock source for the ignition system or speedometer. Quite honestly, without going to MOCO school, most of us who own an HD machine can only use their operational experience and troubleshooting reasoning to fix problems like this, if not detailed in the service manual. Things just are not that easy when getting into the nuts and bolts...!

Back