free website stats program Still having turn signal problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Still having turn signal problems

weve

I,am still having problems with the turn signals on my 97 roadking I tried a different turn signal modual also tried taking out the bulbs and cleaning sockets and adding dielectric grease no luck. The signals work fine with the key on or engine running but stop working or work once or twice then shut off when you are under motion I,am wondering if it could be the speed sensor? It is tied into the tsm I found it in the wiring diagram but I don,t no where it is located on the bike Any help would be apprciated Steve:(

Your turn signals do not require the speed sensor input to operate. The speed sensor provides the data to cancel your signals after you've traveled a certain distance.

I,am still having problems with the turn signals on my 97 roadking I tried a different turn signal modual also tried taking out the bulbs and cleaning sockets and adding dielectric grease no luck. The signals work fine with the key on or engine running but stop working or work once or twice then shut off when you are under motion I,am wondering if it could be the speed sensor? It is tied into the tsm I found it in the wiring diagram but I don,t no where it is located on the bike Any help would be apprciated Steve:(

My understanding of the system is it is based on time and distance travelled before making a turn, that been said if it isnt the module it may be your speed sensor JMO, what else is in the system, have you looked in the manual at the wiring diagrams, Jack

My understanding of the system is it is based on time and distance travelled before making a turn, that been said if it isnt the module it may be your speed sensor JMO, what else is in the system, have you looked in the manual at the wiring diagrams, Jack

Jack your right, it is a formula. If your under 7 MPH or stopped and don't lean bike it wont stop blinking. If over 7 mph, blinks 20 times & stops if no lean to bike. Cancels at any speed after up righting following a turning lean. Lastly, kills engine if lean is greater than 45 degrees for I believe 3 seconds. (May be 2 seconds, can't remember). Got to admit it is one neat system.

Above is as it applies to 2009.

Jack your right, it is a formula. If your under 7 MPH or stopped and don't lean bike it wont stop blinking. If over 7 mph, blinks 20 times & stops if no lean to bike. Cancels at any speed after up righting following a turning lean. Lastly, kills engine if lean is greater than 45 degrees for I believe 3 seconds. (May be 2 seconds, can't remember). Got to admit it is one neat system.

Above is as it applies to 2009.

Thanks Jim, I knew i wasnt dreaming this one up Lol I dont have old timmers

I tried disconecting the white /green wire from the tsm this wire starts at the speed sensor and goes thru the speedometer and turn signals work fine now but you have to cancel them manualy must be somthing in the speedo or speed sensor

Don't know if same applies to a 1997 but if mine lost its speed senor, I would "think" it may still cancel after a lean and would never cancel while going straight. But that's just a guess because there is no telling what a computer will do when it no longer sees a vital input signal.

Weve, good deal trouble shooting the sensor. You have indeed found what Hoople eluded to, if the sensor is "open" (no pulses) there is no signal to the TSSM to shut off signals...as there is no "clock" to time or initiate the cancel sequence. However, since the speedometer is working, the ECM computer is the managing source of the pulses (for EFI & ignition) for determining speedometer operation. I would try the speed sensor first (cause it is cheaper), but the TSSM is likely what needs to be replaced if you want the self canceler to work...(personally I don't really need it and would not go to the expense unless I had the spare change, as it is not critical to bike operation).

Last edited:
I still seem to have a problem with it I took the bike for a 40 mile ride today and again some times they work some times not .And this is with the sensor unhooked They work great while you are sitting still but not under motion I also trided the 4way flashers and the same thing happened role the bike forward or backward and they go out . Some times even slightly rolling the bike in aforward or backward motion can cause this to happen?

Well, you are down to an intermittant problem, and one that is possibly thermal. Just for reference, prior to this problem starting...had you done any recent mods with regards to the handlebars, controls or rework wiring or intermittants like fuse blowing, recent washing/rain etc.? It may be time to pull out a hairdryer or heat gun (don't use too much) and cold spray from an electronics store.

Back