free website stats program Still deciding on first Harley. Few questions. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Still deciding on first Harley. Few questions.

My 2000 RKC was $9600 with 3800 miles. . same color but m&m FI...and of course a different area. seems to bit high.
WAP.gif

A little high.......I just picked up a 2010 Ultra Limited with 4500 miles,full exhaust,stage 1 and dynoed for$18,000.2013-03-08_10-32-56_387.jpg
I would go and spend a little extra for an 09 or newer.

Nice looking scoot. Not high miles, but 33K is starting to get up there. Depends how well the previous owner took care of it and did the proper maintenance. Depending on what your price range is, I'd look for newer and less miles. That bike has an 88 motor. You want at least the 96 or maybe even the 103. And if you're planning on long rides, you want a stereo. Trust me on that one. Bubbie was right on about the '09 models. Newer frame and no cats. Best of both worlds. And be careful on Craigslist & Ebay. They're good places for looking and getting a ballpark on price ranges, but lots of scammers looking to take your hard earned dollars. Never buy a bike unseen. Make sure title is in hand and signed over to you when you pay. And remember, if it sounds too good to be true..... it probably is. Check out some local HD dealers too. Yes, they are a little higher, but they have lots of used bikes and need to get rid of them. Sometimes you can wheel and deal and while you'll pay a little more than from a private seller, the peace of mind might be worth it. They don't negotiate much on new bikes, but you can get them to come off the asking price on used. You can also buy a warranty from the dealer in some cases. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend.
Good luck :D

I'm not one to talk about the mechanical aspects of the various years....However, Pigsnot nailed it along with the others. That bike is at the 30k mark, cam shoe tensioners need inspection on that 02. Gamble that and dont inspect, you could lose an engine. Inspection is easy. Takes an hour or so. poke around on here, you'll see the topic covered quite a bit.

I got my 03 RKC at just 10k with 9 or 10 k miles.

Another important topic: Get Momma on the back and MAKE SURE she is comfortable. If Momma aint happy, nobody is happy. That will make a major difference with the entire Harley Experience.

If you go King, Memphis Shades makes a good fairing but there are others as well. Like others on here, you can put a quick release Tour Pack and Fairing on the King. As one has said, he has an Ultra, a King and an EG in one package.

Take your time, shop around. When you sit on "The One"...you'll know it.
These folks on here know their stuff......when in doubt, ask. Someone, most likely, has been there, done that.

:cheers
Good Luck, Be Safe.......

Sorry guys, I have not been on this week. It was back to reality this week when I had to go back to work after being in Daytona for a week!!!:( All great comments! I am going down to Thunder HD in Columbia next week to look around. I am not dead set against buying from a dealer but there have been a few that I have been to that I wouldn't even think of buying from.. I just can't tolerate rude, arrogant employees when it is me spending the cash!

You all pretty much have me convinced to go with at least an '09. The wife is comfortable on the road king with the right seat. Anything smaller and she is not comfortable.

There are a couple of RK's at Thunder. If you guys get a chance take a look and see what you think of the prices and the used Kings they have..

Thunder Tower Harley-Davidson® in Columbia, South Carolina offers a large selection of quality, new and used Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, parts, accessories and offers Harley® maintenance.

Thanks
Wade

That is probably a fair price. You can ask your bank what it's worth in their blue book. It's a nice looking bike. It looks like it's completely stock. So, if you are going to be riding 2 up, you may want to look for something that has a few more cubic inches or make some performance mods.

Sorry guys, I have not been on this week. It was back to reality this week when I had to go back to work after being in Daytona for a week!!!:( All great comments! I am going down to Thunder HD in Columbia next week to look around. I am not dead set against buying from a dealer but there have been a few that I have been to that I wouldn't even think of buying from.. I just can't tolerate rude, arrogant employees when it is me spending the cash!

You all pretty much have me convinced to go with at least an '09. The wife is comfortable on the road king with the right seat. Anything smaller and she is not comfortable.

There are a couple of RK's at Thunder. If you guys get a chance take a look and see what you think of the prices and the used Kings they have..

Thunder Tower Harley-Davidson® in Columbia, South Carolina offers a large selection of quality, new and used Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, parts, accessories and offers Harley® maintenance.

Thanks
Wade

I Like the FLHRC the best.

Just looking at the picture detail, it told me it was not abused nor out in the Booneys. The black king is ok but just CLOSE looking I'd probably Lean toward the Blue C one.

IF you were to want to buy,,,,,,I'd make them put on the 4 quick detach and toss in a High back "seat back" for the wife and a detachable pipe frame curved up back luggage rack.

The high seat back gives Great lumbar support and you can hang on a Pack behind and on top of luggage rack easily.

My wife travels with me and the stock seat does her fine.That wide tall seat back rest sold her on My bike.:D

Make sure they also toss in the 45$ Pump for the rear air adjustable shocks and pump them to 22# least and ??? 35# most..Depending on the Weight when loaded and the wife with you.

The 4 way quick detach system is a must ; taking all that off when you ride single and short.

It is still a buyers market. I would not buy a 10 model because of $$ differences and the exhaust cats in them. (just me..... 09 best)

Price wise? I'd say you should be able to get all the 4 way quick detach and seat back/luggage rack tossed in at that price. Check out the kelly b book values. Also LOW interest IS a MUST..

I did notice no white walls as they must be New tires with out the white walls..... I like the thin white stripe not the full whitewall the C's came with. Black is good for me. but let them know as a Negative of it not being full whitewalls ,,, Might give you a little barganing tool.

Good luck on your looking and PLEASE let us know what you find and YOU deside on.

signed....BUBBIE

This is my 07 RKC I love the look and have power port 4 speakers and radio/cd player. I chose to get mine from a dealer just so I knew it was gone through and they fixed a few problems after I bought it. Granted most owners take great care of their bikes but we've all seen the few that don't.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364712715888.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364712715888.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 20
Back