free website stats program sticking throttle grip | Harley Davidson Forums

sticking throttle grip

Billbo

Hello all -- just a short note here to say -- I have had what I would call a "sticking" throttle grip on my '11 FLHR ever since I had the HD shop install new Heritage bars. I love the bars and thought I would just learn to live with the sticking since I did not see any way to lubricate anything. Well somewhere I read " loosen the clamping screws on the right side and gently slide the entire thing back just a tiny bit" --- I did - just loosened the screws a little bit and slid the entire thing - switch housing AND grip out toward the end of the bars maybe 1/32" and dang my sticking grip was totally fixed!!!!!!!

At first I could twist the throttle and it would slowly slide back like it had syrup on it - slow and giving the gas was like in steps - not smooth at all but jerky. Now, I twist the grip and let go and it spins back like my Heritage does - quick!!! So, for nothing but about 3 minutes of my time - I fixed my sticking throttle grip and thought perhaps someone else here needs to hear this and try it.

God Bless and ride safely
Bill

Sounds like you didn't have enough slack in the cable. You would have thought the tech would have caught the problem. Good job and tip.:s

Sounds like you didn't have enough slack in the cable. You would have thought the tech would have caught the problem. Good job and tip.:s

That knob also works great as a poor mans cruise control.

Thanks ya'll. I think it was more of a case of the right grip being shoved too far up onto the bar or at least, shoved on too tight out on the end. The left side maybe you just shove it all the way home up onto the bar, but the right side should be left just a tad (1/32") from bottoming out. Anyway, I moved my right grip OUT about 1/32" by moving the entire switch housing mirror and all and now its fine!!

Hope this helps someone else with sticking throttle.
Bill

Back