free website stats program Step up the pace | Harley Davidson Forums

Step up the pace

j.lawson

I didnt know where to post this but here goes. I was getting gas yesterday with my 2008 Ultra Classic and an older gentleman walked up to me and started a conversation about how nice my bike was. He said he hated the guys with loud pipes that revved there bikes while passing through town. (This is Stillwater MN, a small touristy town on the Saint Croix river) He then asked me if I was 60 yet and I responded Im 57. He said enthusiasticly, "you ride that thing as much as you can now because after you retire you wont have the energy".
Now I know that sounds cliche and probably every rider with gray hair has heard it, but this time it really made me think. I guess it was the utter sincerity in his look when he said it. Being 57 I really dont know how much rideing time I have so, I made a resolution right then to step up the pace and start piling on the miles and make more effort to ride to places on my bucket list. After all, tomorrow I might wake up dead.:)
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 62 and the miles I ride have increased every year since I retired. Right now myself and three friends are planning a very long trip for next year when two of them retire.

I didnt know where to post this but here goes. I was getting gas yesterday with my 2008 Ultra Classic and an older gentleman walked up to me and started a conversation about how nice my bike was. He said he hated the guys with loud pipes that revved there bikes while passing through town. (This is Stillwater MN, a small touristy town on the Saint Croix river) He then asked me if I was 60 yet and I responded Im 57. He said enthusiasticly, "you ride that thing as much as you can now because after you retire you wont have the energy".
Now I know that sounds cliche and probably every rider with gray hair has heard it, but this time it really made me think. I guess it was the utter sincerity in his look when he said it. Being 57 I really dont know how much rideing time I have so, I made a resolution right then to step up the pace and start piling on the miles and make more effort to ride to places on my bucket list. After all, tomorrow I might wake up dead.:)
John
If you wake up dead, call me and let me know how it is!

I often tell people, especially those much younger –“Don’t let the gray hair and wrinkles fool you, I am only 48” (1964).

When my two-wheeled days are nearing their end I plan to convert the Road King or trade it on a Trike of some type.

I play soccer every Sunday against younger players and I enjoy it while I can. I always say I am only one major injury away from never playing again.

I've been riding since I was 12, and I have been retired since I was 54. I'm now 65 and try to ride everyday, in the summer here in Fl I usually get in 200 to 300 in the AM. FLSTC has 160,000 mi and the RG has 65,000 mi. You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding.

I am glad I took the time to read this one. At 60 and early retired I have MORE time to ride, that said we moved here to Florida 15 years ago, I can count on one hand the days I did not ride, I have only the bike for my main transportation, aint complaining just glad I can ride as much as I do. Living in MN most of my life I know how short your riding season is SOOOO get out there and ride. Stillwater is a great scenic town, for those of you passing thru, check it out:s

Back