free website stats program Steering neck grease | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering neck grease

When I got my bike, I put a 90 degree fitting on the neck and greased it. I joined the forum, read some posts and greased it again. I read a post by Smitty and gave it another couple of shots in Jan. Read this thread and went and shined a light up to the top race, all nice and dry looking. I started pumping, and pumping, and pumping. I have a 12" gun. I used at least 1/2 of it before grease started coming out the top. Believe what others have said, it takes a LOT of grease to fill the neck.:34:

I have a red bike so the idea of red grease is appealing. What does the spec. call for?

You just have to make sure that if you have dino grease or synthetic grease. Cause if you have dino and you put in synthetic if will drip out the bottom and be all over you and your bike.

When the factory lubes the neck, they just pack the bearings with grease, because they have not installed them yet. That is sufficient for original installation. But when you are doing scheduled maintenance, the only way you can pack the bearings is to fill the whole neck with grease, until a bit starts coming out. So, it is normal to use quite a bit of grease the first time you do a scheduled maintenance. The next time, it won’t take near as much grease.

:34:

That's all well and good;but i cant wait to see your face-or mine-when i/we have to change the bearings,or remove the forks,triple clamps and steering stem.

I'm getting nervous just THINKING about all that grease in there that will go everywhere.:shock

It's a good idea in principle and it does sort of make sense ala the idea of filling up your swingarm pivot axle with grease through one zerk fitting,but that too was equally disturbing.Plus,i'd doubt that the grease would force it's way up to and through the top bearing.

I'll make a day of it in conjunction with a fork oil change :disassemble,hand repack, and put back together.
Knowing,not hoping it's all greased.

I know that Mobile 1 synthetic is red in color.

I made the mistake of buying the HD brand first. It was dripping out of the grease gun, just hanging on the wall in my garage. It must have a melting point of 60 degrees. I dumped it in the trash before ever using it.

Same here with my 08 FLHR. The steering neck bearing was bone dry AFTER the dealer performed the 1,000 and 5,000 servicing. I also use Mobil 1 Synthetic bearing grease. Installed a 90 degree zerk fitting so I can get to it much easier.

On April 10th Hoople made a recommendation in another thread for Valvoline Cerulean sold at NAPA. I tried it and it is just as he claimed. It is blue, sticks in place and has not run at all - yet at least. Have to see what the Georgia summer temps do. But it did take at least 1/2 tube to get grease to ooze out top and bottom even though my Ultra had about 18,000 miles on it and has been through dealer service routines before. Go figure.

Very few dealers will grease the front end as they should during a service, The evidence is when it takes 1/2 tube of grease to get it to ooze out and I'm pretty sure they don't disassemble the front end to grease the bearings.:D

It sounds to me like the MOCO does not use syn grease on neck bearings, so what kind of grease does everyone use, I am thinking Syn grease maybe Mobile 1 brand, if they even make make it, which I think they would.

Back