free website stats program Steering Neck Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering Neck Bearings

hd4evr

Banned
My 2007 FXD feels a little "stiff" when I turn the handlebars while just sitting still. There's a notchy, crunchy sound like the bearings may be dry. I don't see a grease fitting on my frame neck. Is this a common problem? How can I grease the bearings, or is this a more serious problem? Thanks!

Check on the left side of the steering neck. My touring bike has a grease fitting there and, for the record, mine was almost dry when I went to lubricate it

by the way, a service manual is handy to have :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2007 FXD feels a little "stiff" when I turn the handlebars while just sitting still. There's a notchy, crunchy sound like the bearings may be dry. I don't see a grease fitting on my frame neck. Is this a common problem? How can I grease the bearings, or is this a more serious problem? Thanks!

There's no grease fitting on the 07 FXD steering head neck. I checked mine and double checked in the service manual. There are a lot of differences between the Dynas and the tourers, and this is one of them.:)

You'll need the service manual for this. The manual calls for the removal and disassembly of the forks to get to the steering head and bearings. From your description of the sound you'll need to replace and grease the new bearings (even if only one is bad, replace both) and, while you are in there, replace the wear items in the forks and install new fluid.

I don't think the steering will lock up on you or anything, but gradually just get worse until it degrades the smooth turning. Personally, would reserve a Saturday, get the parts and tools, and change them out.

As an aside, at the new owner orientation at my dealer the mechanic said the grease the MOCO uses liquifies at 95* and may run out. When they complained about the low temperature limit, the local operation was questioned as to why anyone would even ride at 95*. Pointing out we are in the Arizona desert didn't register, apparently we are supposed to park our bikes for the summer's duration like the northern folks do in the winter.

My 2¢.

You'll need the service manual for this. The manual calls for the removal and disassembly of the forks to get to the steering head and bearings. From your description of the sound you'll need to replace and grease the new bearings (even if only one is bad, replace both) and, while you are in there, replace the wear items in the forks and install new fluid.

You're kidding right? :34:
I can't believe that would need to be done on a 3 year old motorcycle, that's only ridden for 1/2 a year! Gets cold where I live for 6 months! :s

Some models like the FX line have the frame tubes welded into the neck that are open. This is why there are no grease fittings in these bikes. If you were to install a fitting and grease it, you would use gallons of grease and only fill the frame up with grease.:s

get the neck bearings checked and serviced ! Its not that hard to do!
Always use a torque wrench, and check the air in your tires each week !

Thanks guys! Sounds like the next rainy Saturday, I've got a little chore to do!

hd4evr, Sounds like you are tackling the job yourself. If you do, would you be able to take some pictures of the inside of the neck, along with taking some measurements? I am thinking if it would be possible to seal off/enclose the inside neck area (block off frame holes) and then install a zerk fitting.
Anyone see or know of a reason why it would not work?

You're kidding right? :34:
I can't believe that would need to be done on a 3 year old motorcycle, that's only ridden for 1/2 a year! Gets cold where I live for 6 months! :s

Nope, page 2-65 of section 2-19 of the Dyna service manual calls for the front fork removal as item one, and the headlamp removal as item two.

You might find a work-around, but not on the first try.

Silver

Back