Steering head

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by marknett, May 21, 2013.

1. marknett

marknett Active Member

I have a 2012 dyna switchback with 7450 miles on her. I am getting a clanking sound when I hit bumps coming from the steering head . As per manual , I need to adjust for fall away . My question is this . If i jack up the bike and float the front end , then start snugging the star nut on the bottom or tighten or do I need to loosen the stem nut on top first and then tightened the star nut.. Also why should this not be covered under warranty. Thats crazy. If I bought a new car and the front end started falling out , I sure it would be covered. The moco servive warranty is a joke. Sorry about the rant , just had to vent a sec. Now should I still adjust for fall away or just snug the star nut to remove the slack between bearings and race . Thanks for any info . I did a search and found some good ideas on setting the fall away. But don't know if I need to do that.

2. SilverFoXD

SilverFoXD Active Member Contributor

Might want to double check the front tank bolt. Unless REALLY tight the tank will make a clunking sound.

Just my 2¢.

3. marknett

marknett Active Member

I will definitely check that.

4. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

For my softail..loosen the steering head nut and then loosen the upper and lower fork pinch bolts. Then adjust for fallaway, I never got mine to manual specs but it got close. Be sure the steering neck is greased as well.

5. marknett

marknett Active Member

Sorry for the late response . It did turn out to be the front tank bolt being loose. After tighten it up no more klunk :D

1 person likes this.