free website stats program Steering Head Play | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering Head Play

Steve Di.

I have some play in the steering head and believe the bushings in the steering head bolts need replacing.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long and how difficult it is to change the bushings?

The service manual lists removing the throttle cable, clutch cable, etc. Is it possible to remove the handle bar clamps and set aside the handle bars with the cables and wires still attached?

Any suggestions?

The bearings may not be bad and possibly only an adjustment is needed. There should be a 'Fall away' adjusted in service manual you may want to check..

If we are talking about the same thing. I am thinking neck bearings.

I have some play in the steering head and believe the bushings in the steering head bolts need replacing.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long and how difficult it is to change the bushings?

The service manual lists removing the throttle cable, clutch cable, etc. Is it possible to remove the handle bar clamps and set aside the handle bars with the cables and wires still attached?

Any suggestions?

Disconnect the battery and cover the tank if you go this route and make sure you dont kink or bend any wires or cables

The bearings may not be bad and possibly only an adjustment is needed. There should be a 'Fall away' adjusted in service manual you may want to check..

If we are talking about the same thing. I am thinking neck bearings.

Hoople. The play is actually in the two bolts that hold the handle bar clamp assembly onto the triple tree, i.e., the play is in the parts above the bearings. Does that make sence?

Disconnect the battery and cover the tank if you go this route and make sure you dont kink or bend any wires or cables
Thanks Jack. I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoople. The play is actually in the two bolts that hold the handle bar clamp assembly onto the triple tree, i.e., the play is in the parts above the bearings. Does that make sence?

Riser Bushings, easy to change

Any suggestions?
Steve,
I have an 05 EG classic and I had some "play," a mushy feel to the handlebars with my steering that I thought was riser bushings, also. Turns out it was loose handlebar bracket bolts that apparently worked loose over the past 25K miles and was so gradual and subtle I didn't realize it was the handlebar mounting that was the problem. I began experiencing wobble while cornering and lost my confidence in tights turn as a result. Took a while to identify the source, but I checked manual on how to remove ignition switch and fairing panel to access the bracket and bolts. Found both lower bolts about 1/4 turn too loose. I torqued them to spec and now my steering is tight and like original. You might want to check yours before replacing riser bushings. Good luck.

Thanks Nic. I originally thought the handle bar clamps were the culprit, but I noticed when I pushed on the handlebars, the entire assembly, handlebar clamps included, moved up and down in unison. I noticed the play was in the riser bolts, making it a more difficult fix.

Good call Steve, and once you do the service, may want to check fall away and lubrication just to be sure everything is in working order while you are at it. :s

Back