free website stats program Steering Head Grease | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering Head Grease

I use HD "Special Grease." It is supposed to have some additive in it to keep it from oozing out when it gets hot out. I have used Marine type grease in the past and haven't had a problem.

I use Walmart marine grade grease. I was suprised of the temp rating and have never had any drip on front fender.

No Criticism Meant here to those who do it different....

It has been MY experience that IF you Use a different TYPE like grease, like a Marine grease or a Synthetic, without First Cleaning OUT the Old grease then Starting FRESH with the NEW Type,, Sometime It DOESN'T MIX and damage Can be done to the bearing and race ...:newsmile055:

On SOME of the Grease containers it states this and I do believe it to be so....

signed....BUBBIE

No Criticism Meant here to those who do it different....

It has been MY experience that IF you Use a different TYPE like grease, like a Marine grease or a Synthetic, without First Cleaning OUT the Old grease then Starting FRESH with the NEW Type,, Sometime It DOESN'T MIX and damage Can be done to the bearing and race ...:newsmile055:

On SOME of the Grease containers it states this and I do believe it to be so....

signed....BUBBIE

You could have mixed petroleum- base and synthetic greases, that dosn't work.

I'm w/BUBBIE on this one - usually best to clean & inspect the bearings & race to ensure everything's intact. Then clean out old & fill w/new. Like Jack - we used Lubriplate products on the farm & so I still use their grease on my vehicles (great product(s)). It's my recommendation as well.

Back