free website stats program Stealing a H-D | Harley Davidson Forums

Stealing a H-D

JDPEagle

I know that this thread should get a few interesting responses. I have searched high and low for the answer; however, I have been unable to locate anything.

How secure is the system on H-D models that have a locking ignition switch on the tank (the key does not need to remain in the bike)? Is there anything within the system that prohibits channel lock pliers from being used to force the switch into the "ign" setting, and someone riding off into the sunset on your scoot?

Motorcycle thefts around here have been on the rise, and as much as I wish I could afford a paging alarm system... I can't right now.

What is the best "bang for the buck" as far as keeping your bike secure?

PS: I do not have any type of alarm system (fob).

Anybody with a good sized pair of channel locks can be riding off on your bike in less than a minute.

Motorcycles are not known for there security measures. Channels locks will do it for console mounted ignition mounts locks. Fork locks can be broken by applying enough force to the handle bars.. Say a hard enough kick with your foot.

I use Cobra Links... From the frame to the front wheel, or from my frame to another persons frame...

Locks, chains or whatever only keep an honest person honest. They're best for having a thief move on to someone bike that would be easier to steal. But if someone really wants your bike, it's gone.

Also someone does not have to start your bike to steel it. so keeping someone from starting it is only half the battle.

I have a 6' cobra link that's going to take someone longer than they want to get through it. It's the best and then use it. I run mine through the frame and then if I can through my wife's bike frame. Harder to get two than one when done properly.

I too am insured by Colt, but I'd never harm a fly trying to steal my HD or person belongings. It's meant for only protecting me and my loved ones. So in my mind, guns are not a bike security system or deterrent. Now having an empty holster hanging from the bars/sissy bar might in itself be though.

Don't park you bike all by itself, park with others. I once parked mine with a patch club and with the prospect out there all night, it was very secure. (Helps to know the club too if I might add)

Just make your bike a bit harder to steal than the one next to it. If someone really wants your bike, it will be gone no matter what. Buy very good insurance and then read it to make sure it covers what you think it covers, ask questions etc... I could add more to this, but common sense goes a long way. I've never lost a bike, but I've put the hurt big time on thief that tried a long time ago. And NO, it wasn't worth it.
Ugly John

There ya go. I knew I had a good reason not to own a bike. :D The locks for them are not any good! :bigsmiley20:
Ugly John

As most here have said, if someone really wants your bike "it's gone!!".

Security sys or not, when I am out and about, I try to park where I can see my
bike or in a safe (hmmmmm, whatever that means) area. Generally, a safe area to
me is next to other bikes. I have not seen anyone mess with another persons bike
but I think that I would recognize if a person was messing around with a bike that
was not his. I hope. And if I do see it, I hope the person is not an 'ol fart, cause
you know what they say about 'ol farts, "they don't fight, they shoot". LOL

ride safe

twoup

Back