free website stats program Stay with petroleum based or switch to synthetic? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stay with petroleum based or switch to synthetic?

TorturedZen

My apologies in advance if this topic has been posted before but there are just SO many threads on oil and such that I am getting lost in the fray.

I'm a new owner of a 2000 Heritage. I asked the dealer what engine oil was being used and he said the bike has always had petroleum based oil. He then said there is no reason to switch to synthetic. Is he correct? And if I switch over will I be risking any damage?

Thanx
- Dan

You can switch over at any time. The advantage of synthetic oil is it can stand more heat without breaking down.

i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

Look in this section for more info.

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

Welcome to the forum TorturedZen, I think I would try a new dealer, the answer you got to your question is not a good sign, That is the number one answer on the top ten things a competent dealer will not say.

Do yourself a favor and make the switch. You can switch at any time and it will not harm the bike. There are benefits to using synthetics such as a cooler running engine and extended oil life. That translates into longer engine life and fewer oil changes. JMHO!

in our race bikes,we`ve found sythetic oil to be far better than regular oil,less wear,less friction & breakage.NOTHING abuses parts more than dragracing,especially on nitro.in 25+ years racing,we know oil!!for someone to say"theres no difference,stay with petrolium base oil",i`de look for another shop too.go with syn.,we like lucas or amsoil

Ok...much thanks. That's what I expected to hear. But now this raises another probably dumb question....When I make the switch, I'm assuming there will be some residual oil mixing in with the synth. Issues or concerns on this? I'm thinking not, but then I'm the newb here.

Don't use HD Syn3 it's a blend. Use 100% syn and change the tranny to syn at the same time, you won't be sorry. Syn in the tranny makes it shift a lot better.:s

Red Line 20W50
K&N Oil Filter
Red Line V-Twin Trans Oil w/ Shockproof
Red Line V-Twin Primary Case Oil

The worst desert heat doesn't phase this combination! :14:

Back