free website stats program Stator | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator

Jefro

Hi all,
WHy do some stators last longer than others? I am told that they can go bad anytime between 25K and upward with seemingly no reason or advance notification.
Thanks

Design, load, age, usage all figure into the life of the stator as well as charging rates and battery problems and regulator deficiencies will effect their longevity.

I will tell you 2 overlooked Simple reasons that will be the "Kiss of Death" for a stator or regulator.

1) A battery with 1 weak cell. You must remove, charge, and load test a battery to see if it is OK.
Putting a votmeter across it tells you nothing. Going by age is risky also. If you feel the battery is getting weak due to slow cranking speed... Change it. If you don't, your charging system will have to work overtime.

2) A Poor Battery ground connector to Frame of Bike. Even a small voltage drop between the battery ground cable and Frame ground will make your stator work overtime trying to keep up with it. Of course both Battery connections must be good also.

Any votage drop across any poor connection IN THE CHARGING CIRCUIT must be made up for by the stator & regulator.
If the stator smokes because the enamel on the windings came off due to engine/oil heat, that is a different story. The enamel can just peel and chip given enough heat, time & vibration.
1 & 2 are simple "Electrical" reasons why Stators or Regulators would see an early death.

Hoop!

Glider & Hoople have you covered, but two other things are heat and vibration. Several posters have commented on the smell of the lubricant being the giveaway...but if things got that hot, imagine on a small area the size of a pinhead, the heating effect of an insulation breakdown will mean enormous power (heat) dissipation in a small area, fire if not for the lubricant snuffing it out, but burning none the less. The other thing is vibration, magnets can break loose, nicking the insulation on the wires and allowing shorts to occur AND the process continues until catastrophic failure occurs.

Thank's Hoop.
My battery is getting weak. I was going to try to stretch is another two months, but think I need to change it asap.

Since I am going to get a new clutch in next month, I might as well spring for the stator replacement at the same time rather than take a chance and have it go while I am out abd about.

Jefro

I will tell you 2 overlooked Simple reasons that will be the "Kiss of Death" for a stator or regulator.

1) A battery with 1 weak cell. You must remove, charge, and load test a battery to see if it is OK.
Putting a votmeter across it tells you nothing. Going by age is risky also. If you feel the battery is getting weak due to slow cranking speed... Change it. If you don't, your charging system will have to work overtime.

2) A Poor Battery ground connector to Frame of Bike. Even a small voltage drop between the battery ground cable and Frame ground will make your stator work overtime trying to keep up with it. Of course both Battery connections must be good also.

Any votage drop across any poor connection IN THE CHARGING CIRCUIT must be made up for by the stator & regulator.
If the stator smokes because the enamel on the windings came off due to engine/oil heat, that is a different story. The enamel can just peel and chip given enough heat, time & vibration.
1 & 2 are simple "Electrical" reasons why Stators or Regulators would see an early death.

Hoop!

I have been talking to the guy that does my mechanical work. Since my bike is my primary transportation all year, and he is doing the clutch anyways, the hundred bucks or so extra will save another trip to the shop and more lost time without my ride.

Jefro, might want to add the regulator replacement to your list...if you had a bad stator, you can bet the regulator was stressed at the time as well...if they do not have the standard one in stock, the chrome one is usually available and costs almost the same and no waiting...imagine that!!! :D

I'm new here but would like to throw this at ya. the primary oil was smellin burnt.. every now and then I heard a screech on the primary side. battery went dead and bike killed. Charged battery, unpluged wire from regulator from where it goes into primary cover, tested voltage which should go up about 10 v for every 1000rpm.. nothing.. the compensator nut backed off. the rotor spun. Ain't that something. When you gotta pull it all apart you change rotor & stator,,, also changed chain shoe.

Back