free website stats program Stator Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator Replacement

JKJunkie

Hello everyone! How hard is it to change out the stator on a 2000 Ultra Classic? I am pretty good mechanical wise, I build custom Jeeps for everything from rock crawling to mall crawling.....I have just never worked on a bike since I am pretty new to it. Thanks in advance!

Overall, bikes are a lot easier to work on than cars and trucks.

Make sure you get the appropriate service manual for your year and model bike and then go for it. The experts on here are available pretty much 24/7 to help you out if you have questions or get in a jam.

Hello everyone! How hard is it to change out the stator on a 2000 Ultra Classic? I am pretty good mechanical wise, I build custom Jeeps for everything from rock crawling to mall crawling.....I have just never worked on a bike since I am pretty new to it. Thanks in advance!

First of all, why do you want to replace the STATOR? What makes you think this is a problem?

Not hard to do, but as suggested above, get the HD Factory Service manual covering your model and year.

In a nutshell:
  • Drain the primary fluid
  • Remove the primary cover
  • Remove the compensator nut, clutch basket nut (lefty) and chain tensioner
  • Remove compensator, clutch basket and chain
  • Remove the rotor
  • Remove the stator
  • Reinstall in reverse order
They have tools to remove the rotor with, but I just thread a couple of bolts into the threaded holes in the rotor and pull the rotor off with a couple of large crescent wrenches. And as a note, use NEW screws to secure the new stator.

TQ

While working on the internal primary to disassemble and access the stator is rather involved, if you have experience in automotive repair, it is just a little daunting with all the primary cover, fasteners, blocking stack, and puller necessary. You have to have a manual, be patient and methodical it is not that bad, but the satisfaction and rewards of doing it yourself is a great benefit.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/3764-stator_replacement.html

Piece of cake. The hardest part of the process to remember for me was righty tighty and lefty loosey. That was a $300 mistake.

If you do it yourself you'll save big time. A friend broke down on his '03 dyna and it cost him $600 for that repair. Some of that was tow but the tow charge wasn't that high. Only $80 I think he said.

No grinding is necessary on a 2000 for the rotor to clear inner primary cover?
Would be nice to be able to skip that part.

Back