free website stats program Stator problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator problem

dogcop727

anyone here have problems with the stator on the 06 dyna? have read a lot of bad things about the bolts coming loose and destroying the stator.

how big of a job is it getting to the stator and rotor? havent broke out the manual to look it over.

has anyone had the dealer repair their stator on the 2006 dyna. if so what did they charge you. thinking about having mine fixed before it blows apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: dyna stator

I have an 01 and mine went out. The dealer wanted a little over $450 to put a new one in. Way to much. I ended up changing mine myself. Nothing to it.

ya the 2 piece is what i have. hasnt fell apart yet but i dont think i want to wait. was thinking i may just hit the bolts with a tac weld. seems like that is what some people are doing. i would not think it would be a balance issue or am i wrong. Tc88 are not balance anyway correct?

ITs not that hard of a job to tell you the truth im a certified harley tech and i know exactly what it takes the only trouble people have is on the stator there are a couple of bolts that hold it to the case the are allen head and and have a tendency to round off or snap off half way out so just be careful

ya the 2 piece is what i have. hasnt fell apart yet but i dont think i want to wait. was thinking i may just hit the bolts with a tac weld. seems like that is what some people are doing.

That is what Porkchop said he did in the link above. You might want to pm him and get his input directly.

TQ

Last edited:

there is a race shop here where i take my bike and he said he would do it for $200 bucks. didnt think that was bad. that includes teardown, weld and put back together.

Just at the dealer a couple of days ago. They said 295.00, and said "yes, they are a problem and I should fix it" amazingly, "I" should fix it, 6000 miles... oook!

The rotor on my '06 FXDCI just tore up the stator. Only have 10,000 mi. on it. Not a nice sound, I thought I had spun a bearing. I have extendeded warranty so it's covered. Going to (edit) that HD should be recalling this as a defect! You'll definitely know when it happens - Low voltage indicator & check engine lights both come on. Replacement part is a welded assembly. I would definitely replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I just blew up my rotor. What can I expect in there? What should I have before I start on it?

Here is my problem from a post on another discussion.
2006 Street Bob Dynaglide 88 inch with stage 1.
This happened twice within minutes of each other. Got a loud 2 clunks in a row from what sounded like the front cylinder. Engine seemed to stall out or slow idle briefly. Immediately the engine light and battery light come on. The engine ran fine after the first 2 clunks. When I restarted the engine a few minutes later it started and ran fine for 5 minutes, then one loud clunk and the engine light came on. I ran the DTC check and only came up with the low battery code. Cleared the code and ran it... No codes. Am I safe to run this bike to diagnose the clunk better? any ideas?
Just went for a little ride. No more noises. Engine light and battery light come on. Is it possible that the loud clunk was my alternator? I'm going to put my bike on charge overnight. But I think it's time for a new battery anyway.. I'm still a little unsure of that noise and why it coincided with my charging issues.
I think I just found my problem in a discussion on electrical.

I must have blown up my rotor. That's what the sound was. And it explains my sudden charging issue.

Rotor problem HDTimeline discussion.

Back