free website stats program Stator Gone Bad | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator Gone Bad

Just ordered the stator for my 2005 Ultra Classic. I've only had this bike for a little more than a month. Had ~48,000 miles on it when I bought it, now has 51,500. I don't know what was used prior to me owning it, but the first thing I did was change fluids in all 3 holes, with Formula+ going in the primary.

I know 1 thing for certain - I'll NEVER forget the smell of death from the oil when I drained the primary last night. UGH!!!!:bigsmiley30:

05 Ultra Classic with just over 40000 miles on it. I put in a new stator, but did not replace the regulator. Well, now with just 400 miles on the new stator, it is gone again. I got the lifetime warranty on the Accel stator. Now we can see how well they stand behind their product. Anyone else had one on these go bad? No strange things happened, it just died suddenly. Checked for shorts, but found nothing. It may just be a defective stator. Always used Amsoil in the bike.

I put in a new stator, but did not replace the regulator. Well, now with just 400 miles on the new stator, it is gone again.

Usually stators will go bad from the regulator having leaky or shorted diodes. Meter checks on regulators don't tell it all.
If the enamel wire on stator is discolored, probably a bad regulator caused it. How are you checking stator condition.

Hoop has got you covered. I just have this 2 cents laying around: Stators and regulators are intimately related. I might replace a regulator without replacing a stator, simply because stators are such a pain to replace. I would never replace a stator without a regulator. I surely would not want to have to go back in after a 2nd stator.

Good luck,
Rich P

Just had the stator replaced on my 2006 flhtci, it was the original.
had just switched to Redline MTL, had been using 20-50 conventional, changed every 5k.
There are 70k on the bike. The work was done at Pikes Peak H-D.

An interesting time for this thread to pop back up.

I just noticed oil seeping from the regulator/stator connection on the case of my "98" Fat Boy. (Inside the male plug, the rubber base around the lower prong has some deterioration.) The bike has spent most of its life sitting; there are 33 k miles on it.

It's a seep, and not my first bike to mark its spot. But if anyone has comments of relative concerns, I would be grateful.
Thanks

An interesting time for this thread to pop back up.

I just noticed oil seeping from the regulator/stator connection on the case of my "98" Fat Boy. (Inside the male plug, the rubber base around the lower prong has some deterioration.) The bike has spent most of its life sitting; there are 33 k miles on it.

It's a seep, and not my first bike to mark its spot. But if anyone has comments of relative concerns, I would be grateful.
Thanks
JP Cycles
Look here, Evo stator plugs had a problem leaking. You can unplug it, clean all with brake clean, find an O ring to put on the plug before reassembly to help seal:s

Ah I see..........and add to it Jack has the better stash and there you go! Wonder why I never noticed this before. Good eyes Tank!

Back