free website stats program Stator Gone Bad | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator Gone Bad

glider.

BOT Machine
If you have had a stator that went bad, tell us what bike, what primary lube you used and how often you changed it. Also the year of the bike would help too.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The stator in my old bike, 04 UC, had to be replaced at 35k miles. I was using Screaming Eagle HD oil at that time in all three holes and changed it every 5k miles.

Hi mine went bad last summer. I have a 2000 Harley Classic with 38000 miles on it. I had just started last year using Amsoil. I change the oil when I change the engine oil around 3000 miles. I have since went back to harley synthetic.

Changed both stator and voltage regulator last month. FLSTC 2007, 15k miles, changed the primary lube (semi-synth here in Spain) every 3k miles. Too young to have the stator replaced?

Changed both stator and voltage regulator last month. FLSTC 2007, 15k miles, changed the primary lube (semi-synth here in Spain) every 3k miles. Too young to have the stator replaced?

Stators are a coil of wire with voltage & current running through them. Kind-of like a light bulb. Some of them will last a very long time, and I've heard of some going out with-in 5K miles. 1-key factor in the life of a stator is cooling... I think this is the point of this thread, to find out which primary lubricant provides the best over-all protection for the stator & does the best job for the clutch & its componants.

'91 Evo Tourer, rotor&stator went bad 1 month ago. Unknown mileage, but in the region of 50k+. H-D non-syn primary lube used, changed every 5k.
If you're after the MTBF of the stator itself then my case is no good, as my rotor came loose first causing stator damage.
AFAIK, what I replaced now was a 19 year old original ass'y meaning very good longevity in my book...

2004 FLSTCI Heritage Softail, at 5k, started acting up, took to 2 shops before the 3rd figured it out. had to replace entire charging system, stator bolt loose. done at about 8k. have over 11k, now, so be careful

:newsmile077:

Always used HD Full Synthetic since 500 mile original oil change, changed every year since i dont' ride as much - partially disabled...so ride when the body allows.

Just had the orginal stator replaced on my bike. The bike is a 2003 FLHT with 37,000 miles. It was replaced with a stator from Cycle Electric Inc., part # CE-3845-02A.

Forgot to add I use HD Formula+ in the primary and change it every 5,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back