free website stats program Stator and regulator | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator and regulator

pigiron

I have a 2003 Eletra Glide. It has a fairly new voltage regulator on it. While riding the other day the volt gauge pegged on 16 plus volts. Testing the stator and the volts jumped all over the place. It would go up to a high of 40 and all the way down to single digits. Nothing coming out of the voltage regulator as it is not charging the battery at all. I think it is time to change the stator and regulator. Also a note the plug from stator to regulator had some signs of heat damage. Thoughts?:bigsmiley11:

Poor connections cause heat damage due to resistance. In most cases if you change one part, the other fails thereafter. I have always said changing them both at the same time is the best bet.

The voltage swings can damage the regulator or the stator.

It's hard to tell what's causing the swings without testing the output of the stator.

A SNIFF Test of the primary oil Might be good to do,, Derby cover off..... IF a STRONG odor of Burnt is there, Off the primary cover and check Stator for Burnt problems there..

If it is BURNT,,,, IT will Smell Very Strong....:swoon

signed....BUBBIE

Thoughts?:bigsmiley11:

I would not go by the dash voltmeter. It's a very basic meter that has no means to filter a problem with the regulator.

To run a basic test on the stator, you need to use an AC voltmeter, preferably a True RMS meter. And even then, it's a very basic test that will only confirm it's bad and will not confirm it's good.

Back