free website stats program Stater or voltage regulater | Harley Davidson Forums

Stater or voltage regulater

See #148 on the Self Help Tips section under Electrical and Lighting Systems. It helped me to figure out my issues, hopefully it will help you as well.

See #148 on the Self Help Tips section under Electrical and Lighting Systems. It helped me to figure out my issues, hopefully it will help you as well.

Awesome post for your first one! Thanks for helping to spread the word on how much helpful stuff is contained in the Self Help section.

Thanks for showing me the way although I should know it. I was not happy as I replaced the stator and volt reg about 4 k miles ago. So my initial reaction was to go where the help is,and ask the question quickly it was a knee jerk reaction, as I can't believe I'm having to go through this again. thanks for all the support

Give an eyeball to your wiring harnesses to see if there is anything grounding out causing you the problems. Also consider the battery as a possible contributing source. Are you using a battery tender when not riding for periods of time. It could be that the charging system is overworking trying to get the battery up to snuff again if it sits for periods of time without riding.

If only 4K miles ago, look real close as to what Glider recommends.

You may also just want to check,,, with the bike running at 2K RPM, check the output voltage right at the voltage regulator and compare that to the voltage directly at the battery. Any voltage drop between the 2 will eat you up alive. Be sure it's no greater than 2/10's (0.20) of a volt difference using a volt meter that reads in 1/100's of a volt. If it is greater than 2/10's ,, stop and correct it or else in another 4K you may be doing it again.

I have had a Battery go bad and went thru a New stator and New v. regulator Before I finally found a short in the Battery..... A battery can go bad ANYTIME regardless of age..

If it is over a year and closer to two, it can be on borrowed time..

Mind you, I had a battery last for 5 yrs in one bike, only to go out while on a long ride , Miles away from civilization.... too Cheap to replace it early.
Never again...

signed....BUBBIE

Back