free website stats program Stater not engaging need help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stater not engaging need help

The other battery is good and both batteries were load tested and the load test showed good on both batteries.

I am still not convinced that the battery is good.
Get the bike started and check the charging voltage with a quality voltmeter. Hopfully you see something above 14.25 volts at 2500 RPM. Now shut down the engine and disconnect the primary wires going to the coil. Place your voltmeter across the battery posts. Measure the voltage while cranking the engine for 10 seconds. Does the battery voltage remain above 10.00 volts the entire time.

I am still not convinced that the battery is good.
Get the bike started and check the charging voltage with a quality voltmeter. Hopfully you see something above 14.25 volts at 2500 RPM. Now shut down the engine and disconnect the primary wires going to the coil. Place your voltmeter across the battery posts. Measure the voltage while cranking the engine for 10 seconds. Does the battery voltage remain above 10.00 volts the entire time.

We did a load test on both batteries and they both passed with flying colors. I took the battery out of my FLTR which is a bigger battery and it starts my 103" engine every time and I do not have compression releases in the bike so the battery needs to be strong. We took the FLTR battery and hooked it to the 2000 Heritage and the Heritage still had the same starting problems as it did with it original battery. I put the FLTR battery back in the FLTR without charging it and it starts the FLTR every time. What are the chances of 2 batteries being bad in one bike but not the other? We have gone through everything and the problem still exist.

It is not un common for the battery cables to corrode internally and therefore be unable to carry sufficient current for starting under all conditions so perhaps a new set of battery cables may help

Brian

It is not un common for the battery cables to corrode internally and therefore be unable to carry sufficient current for starting under all conditions so perhaps a new set of battery cables may help

Brian

Both battery cables are brand new.

When the bike is in the NO START condition, take a battery jumper cable and attach it to the POS on the battery and the big battery terminal on the solenoid and then try to start it then. If it is still in the NO START condition use the jumper cable again but this time connect to a good ground on the engine with one end and put the other end on the NEG battery terminal and see if either one helps start the engine.

When you have the jumper cable on the POS and the big solenoid terminal, use a jumper and momentarily connect the large terminal on the solenoid and the small wire connection (green wire) that comes from the starter relay and attaches to the solenoid. See if it cranks and starts then and get back to us with what you did and found.

Since this is a new starter, is this the same problem you were having with the old starter? When you get the one click, after it warms up does anything get hot if you hold the start switch on?

This may be far fetched but I was woking on a bike with a similar problem. Would start sometimes and then not start. The issue turned out to be the compensating nut was loose and the assembly would slide down the shaft putting everything in the primary into a bind.

Even though the bike has a new solenoid how could we test it on the bike?

Jump across the main lug on the solenoid to the green wire next time it acts up, see if it turns over if it does the starter is not the problem

I just had that problem only the electrics was totally dead, as if you had pulled the main fuse...turned out to be the new Deka battery terminal...the steel insert inside the terminal was loose with in the poured lead contact lug. Since it just barely made contact to the one surface where the cables engaged the single thru-bolt to the insert, the contact was not very good and would open up "once in awhile". My temporary fix was putting a 2nd bolt to contact the inner terminal on a 2nd threaded insert contact side...don't know if Deka will exchange the battery...! :11:

Back