free website stats program Stater not engaging need help | Harley Davidson Forums

Stater not engaging need help

ironmark

2000 heritage new starter in it and the battery is only couple months old. There is plenty of juice in the battery and the charging system is working fine. The bike will start maybe 5 to 10 times when out riding then it won't start it will just click. We check all the grounds and the wires and everything looks good any advise would be appreciated.

When you checked the cables from the battery did you take them off and clean both ends?

cleaned all cables and connections , also tried a new starter relay and a different heavy duty battery out of my FLTR checked the starter switch on the handlebars and all checks out fine. would there be a hidden ground that we could be missing or a problem with the ECM, we are looking for anything that may help.

Off hand if the cables are good; I'll say you have a bad cell in your battery, You might want to do a load test on the battery, Then check the volts, Any thing under 12.7 Volts the battery is bad/dead.

The bike will start maybe 5 to 10 times when out riding then it won't start it will just click.

It sounds like it has done this a few times. At that point, what do you finally do to get the bike going again. Do you jump start it with another battery, does it start working again all by itself, do you push start it... What gets it going.

Did the new starter come with a new solenoid, or is the one that was on the old starter? The solenoid contact can wear out. I have turned them 180° to get a fresh contact patch.

Since you have even tried another, hopefully, good battery, try starting here:Starting System Troubleshooting-.pdf - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

The other battery is good and both batteries were load tested and the load test showed good on both batteries.

It sounds like it has done this a few times. At that point, what do you finally do to get the bike going again. Do you jump start it with another battery, does it start working again all by itself, do you push start it... What gets it going.

Sometime it will start after the bike sits for awhile but sometimes it won't. If we start the bike here in the garage we will start the bike 3 or 4 times then it will not start we then take a battery charger and set it to 40amps make contact to the battery and the bike will start. We only put the charger on the battery long enough for it to start which is just a few seconds. When we are out riding we need to jump the bike. Also when the starter clicks it will only click one time with each starter switch contact, the starter will not click multiple times like the battery is run down.

Did the new starter come with a new solenoid, or is the one that was on the old starter? The solenoid contact can wear out. I have turned them 180° to get a fresh contact patch.

Yes it came with a new solenoid.

Back