free website stats program Starts on its own | Harley Davidson Forums

Starts on its own

2010 super glide starts basicly on its own. Start button not needed - just turn key to ignition - push run button wait a few seconds engine starts strong. Does have a humming sound while engine runs. I am in Korea and the HD dealer is about 40+ miles away and they are not the most positive people I have meet.

Would be thankful for any help or suggestions

DO NOT RIDE IT! Your starter is staying engaged. It could be your starter relay or the wires going in to the starter have shorted. I had the same issue with mine and it was the insulation on the starter wire had rubbed through causing the same thing you described. Ended up smoking the starter.

2010 super glide starts basicly on its own. Start button not needed - just turn key to ignition - push run button wait a few seconds engine starts strong. Does have a humming sound while engine runs. I am in Korea and the HD dealer is about 40+ miles away and they are not the most positive people I have meet.

Would be thankful for any help or suggestions

DO NOT RIDE IT! Your starter is staying engaged. It could be your starter relay or the wires going in to the starter have shorted. I had the same issue with mine and it was the insulation on the starter wire had rubbed through causing the same thing you described. Ended up smoking the starter.
Get it checked out now before it destroys the starter, ring gear and wiring, including the battery:s

Pork Chop said it best! You definately have a short somewhere. And letting it run or riding it will fry that starter.

Sounds like it could be in the switch since it doesn't start cranking the starter until you flip the kill switch to run. Open it up, and look for frayed or disconnected wires.

i have seen the switches fail internally so keep that in mind, there isnt any visable sign that the switch is faulty.

Doesn't that handle-bar switch JUST do the same as the key switch as far as the engine starter system goes?

I would think IF disconnected there, the bike will not run..
A short there should NOT make the starter run After starting is accomplished...

Stuck gear on starter shaft ? (bendix) and the juice for starting stays ON all the time...

No matter what it is,,,,, It sounds like it will Not Run if starter wires are disconnected..

Warranty should do the trick,,, Maybe call that HD shop,,,They would probably send out Their trailer to pick it up..

signed....BUBBIE

Back