free website stats program Starts in neutral only | Harley Davidson Forums

Starts in neutral only

darbonne

Just put some Heritage bars on my 2011 FLTRU and everything is working well except the bike will only turn over and start in neutral. In any gear with clutch pulled nothing happens.
Checked wiring in right switch group and everyhting seems good

Any ideas?

I would guess tracing the wire that goes to the clutch switch, sounds like it's not getting thru now. Do you have a manual with a wiring diagram to see where (and what color) you could do a continuity test ?

You might also check the the little button switch itself to make sure it wasn't damaged during the change over. It's not as vulnerable as the brake button but still might have gotten damaged.

One of the electrical experts like Hoople will be along shortly to help you more.

Not that i am a much of an expert on these things i think the problem would be in the left side switch gear there should be some sort of switch that the clutch leaver activates when you pull it in to say to the on board computer safe to start

Brian

I agree, sounds like the clutch switch to me also. If you ride the bike to 6th gear I am pretty sure you may even throw a B1154 DTC.

Just trace out the left group of wires.

Like RWB suggested, use a small screwdriver or ball point pen to push in on the button switch in the clutch housing. Very easy to get to. Did you replace levers? The clutch lever has a "spur" that activates the switch
brakeswitchresized.jpg

Thanks Guys!!!!

You were right on target. The clutch housing was just a tad out of line and not noticible from the seat. All taken care of now.

Back