free website stats program Starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting

paddwardo

79 shovel that starts first kick cold..refuses to start warm or hot.. crane hi 4.. all dip switches ok.. mixture is fine.. tried every plug known to man.. tried advance and retard with no luck .. when shes runnin she pulls hard in any gear and runs idles fine but its very frustrating when ya cant even go for a quick beer with the boys coz ya cant get home..

Plenty of spark when warmed up.. No miss fire or such .. sometimes it will kick back or backfire out the carb (40 cv ) but the darn thing just wont start.. I can roll it down the street and it bump starts fine.. when I got the bike several years ago now the bloke that sold it to me had the same problem and hated it..He gave up but I will not..Its got to be something fundamental surely

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem with my old '79. If it sat for 15-20 min. after running it wouldn't start. As long as it was running it wouldn't shut off, only after sitting starting problem.
Turned out to be the coil. While sitting it would get enough heat off the rear cylinder to make the coil go partially open. You could pull the plugs and they would fire,but evidently not enough spark. Replaced the coil and no more problems. My ign. however was points. After looking at the coil closely it had a small crack in it.
Tanks idea is a good one,try it for isolation of problem.
tourbox

On my 79 you can not even think about touching the throttle when warm.
Kick it through once slowly with key off and no throttle, then key on, no throttle and give her a go. I run a S&S on it. Works best for me. You may also try without the kick through first.

Well when you think about it if the old girl is sitting there idling fine and you turn it off then whats changed.. nothin right.. Hobbo you were right on the money..took it for a good run and got it hot..runnin fine.. turned it off .. turned it on..didnt touch a thing except the kick starter and BAM..If you touch that throttle its all over.. 5 kicks and 5 starts..rode the old girl around till I went on reserve..Cheers cobber.. Good advice

From initial question to answer-4 post. This is the forum to be on if you're looking to solve a problem. Thanks hobo for showing what the members can do.

Back