free website stats program starting probs on 97 softail | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

starting probs on 97 softail

TY 89, it only just clicks now and then, so until its acting up all's well, I've just got to catch it at the right time, next time it does I'll take your advice..

btw, battery is new and I tested it too, cleaned all elect. connects I could find/get to, all are secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could do a couple more tests.

1. Measure battery voltage, it should be around 12.6v fully charged.

2. Measure battery voltage as starter is spinning, voltage should stay above 10.5v.

IF it is voltage is falling around or below 10.5v its possible there not enough voltage for the starter to run.

IF you can find a time when button only clicks, try this.

First make sure bike is in NEUTRAL.

Remove the green wire that is plugged into the starter solenoid.

Take a jumper wire and touch the + ( POS ) terminal and then touch it to the terminal on the starter solenoid where the green wire was attached.

IF the starter spins up then your starter and solenoid is just fine.
I would look for the cause of the click elsewhere.

let us know what you find.

Regards,
Chuck

ty Chuck, will try suggestions, Now today leaving work, just clicks, felt starter and solenoid as clicking, felt like clicking was coming from solenoid, put 2 hammers together to tap on solenoid, couple taps and she started.... coincidence? will try jumper wire as Chuck suggests next time.

It does not take much carbon tracking inside the contacts to cause the solenoid to click, the solenoid is rebuild able

Back