Starting Problem?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Plummie09, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Plummie09

Plummie09 Member

I have been noticing that lately, when I push the "start" button on my 2009 xl1200c, it seems to be hesitating for a second before it actually starts. Today, after not being able to ride it for a few weeks, the hesitation was even longer before it started. Could this be a battery problem from not being on the tender all summer or is it something that I should worry about and check into?

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would start at the battery. You may not even have a problem. A parasitic battery drain of only 50 ma would be ~ 1 amp hour per/day. (1000/50=20hours). We only have 19 amp hours batteries so that means in 3 weeks we are done without a charger hooked up.

The parasitic drain is probably not that high, but it does add up. Bet if you Tender the battery, it will help.

3. Plummie09

Plummie09 Member

That's what I was hoping to hear. :) Today was probably the last I'll get to ride it until Spring and I didn't want to put it away for the Winter (do not like Winter) with something wrong with it. Thanks!

4. jterby

jterby Member

I had an issue like that for a while. After talking with friend I checked my battery. I finally found that I had a loose negative batter wire. Basically, I pulled the battery out a bit, tightened that thing up on the terminal with a screwdriver and my bike was fixed! Mine got so bad, it finally stopped starting all together. Usually, right when I was trying to go to work at 5am. It even died while riding in the rain a few times. I was worried and almost bought a new battery. He he. Try checking the connections. It's free and if anything, they are probably loose by now anyway.
    Good luck.

John
    [​IMG]