free website stats program Starting noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting noise

jamesearl

Turn the ign. to on,hit the button and sometimes get a single chirp,before actually hitting the starter switch.Like when a truck backs up kinda noise.

Turn the ign. to on,hit the button and sometimes get a single chirp,before actually hitting the starter switch.Like when a truck backs up kinda noise.
HMMM time for a new starter or check bolts for torque /

If the starter pukes out,can it be started by rolling it downhill and popping the clutch?
Yup, if the battery is OK and the clutch is OK
I have done this on my 97 FL-HT to get a new battery and starter jack shaft Evo Engine

Starter gear not fully engaging? An inspection of the front of the gear should tell you if it's been fully engaging.
Does it also do it when the bike is warmed up? You can remove starter and have it tested before you spend the money on a new starter.

A good auto parts store can run a test on it for you.

Last edited:
It's a 2016 I got this month,1400 miles on it.Just did the 1k service,so it won't cost me any dough.Works fine,just makes this noise.Almost like a beep,as soon as I hit the run switch.

It's a 2016 I got this month,1400 miles on it.Just did the 1k service,so it won't cost me any dough.Works fine,just makes this noise.Almost like a beep,as soon as I hit the run switch.

I would doubt it would be the starter then on a 2016 but you never know.
Looks like it's time to take her back and have it checked by the dealership on their dime. Hopefully it will do it for them.

This chirp is before the starter is even engaged? As soon as you have turned the ignition switch on and selected RUN but haven't touched the start switch?

Is there a security system?

Last edited:
Yeah,I turn the Ign. switch on the tank to on.Then the run switch on,that's when it happens.She's always started,but the beep or chirp has been happening for a couple of days now.Happened today after shutting her down to fill up.

Thinking outside the box does your scoot have a security system and does it have it's own battery backup?
If so the battery backup could be low or bad sending out a chirp. Just a thought.

Back