free website stats program Starting Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Issue

PAPALJ47

Im new to this forum ... been riding 45+ years ... so not really new to bikes. Haven't done much wrenching in a long time.

Have a 2000 RoadKing that I dont get to ride near enough. Loaned out the battery tender :( and battery went down while bike sat in garage.

Charged it overnight on "slow" charger and had nice bright lights when I turned key ... hit starter switch....CLUNK (noise) ...immediate discharge on battery, lights down to baely glowing and nothing ... I know the definition of insanity but what the heck...tried it again...same result.

Glad it was in garage and not a couple hundred miles away :)

I searched here but didnt find any similar references...

Thoughts? Starter relay, starter ...other?

Remove battery and have load tested. It may not have been charged enough to bring up to full charge. If battery is a least 3 years old might want to replace it for this maybe your for warning.

I agree with dbmg. Load test is a must. You did not say how old the battery was,,,but if the charger is "good" it sounds like the battery is toast.

DBMG
Thanks
Replacing battery was my plan... but I've never experienced this loud click or clunk and apparent discharge before, though I've had many dead/bad batteries. This one is likely 2-3 yrs old... have to go look and see but thats best recollection.

I was concerend about other problems that could hose a new battery.

LJ

This one is likely 2-3 yrs old...
LJ

I would test the battery first because you could have a problem that would send the cranking current sky high. No point in replacing a good battery if it is just 2-3 years old.

Thanks guys...

I will test the battery. Have to wonder if the two charges and resulting apparent discharge may have killed it now :(

If it test's good what other issues might cause this behavior?

LJ

Thanks guys...

I will test the battery. Have to wonder if the two charges and resulting apparent discharge may have killed it now :(

If it test's good what other issues might cause this behavior?

LJ

Only other thing could be a bad starter, or bad connection causing too much current draw, But I think Hoople and dbmg have you covered

You Might want to Test SMELL the chain/primary oil in the case.. (stator)

Remove the chain adjusting door OR the derby cover and give it a whiff..IF BURNT strong smell, it should smell as soon as door is open,,,, meaning a bad stator(burnt out)..

Other wise, the clunk is just instant power Gone and normal sound that the HD makes when NO Juice..

On my 2000 FXDS, I would only get 2/3 yrs. at the most out of my battery life..

signed....BUBBIE

If battery is found to be bad after installing new battery with a tender pigtail installed check charging system. Pig tail needs to be long enough to hang out from under seat area. Would highly recommend a battery tender device to maintain charge at all times when bike is parked. So when installing tender pigtail, make sure it is installed for a easy hook up to tender and use all the time.

Definitely sounds like a bad battery as most others have stated, and after you get the charging system checked out (do pull the chain inspection or derby cover to check for tell tale sign of burnt stator (as Bubbie was eluding to), and be sure to check the oil sump or combustion chamber is not full of oil or fuel (was the oil okay fter the long storage or did you top it up...you may have that oil or fuel in places that make the engine very tough to turn over, and that caused the *clunk*.

Back